Author Topic: Leather handles  (Read 5454 times)

Offline DC

Leather handles
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:26:58 pm »
I'm trying to put a leather handle on a bow. The kind that laces up the back. Most of my leather is recycled jackets and coats and it wants to tear out the lacing holes. Is that just a function of the crummy leather? I'm not pulling very hard but you have to get the slack out. Any hints? Links to Youtube?

Offline DC

Re: Leather handles
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »
I just watched a Three Rivers Youtube on how to do this. He used Barge cement. I've never seem Barge around here (Canada). Is it just contact cement? He just coated one side and didn't let it dry. Contact cement you coat both sides and let it dry. Is this an alternate method of use?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 02:46:27 pm »
I've done this in the past with beavertail rawhide.Glue another layer of sounder leather on the under side along the seam before sewing it up.
I'll send you some scrap pieces of brain tan sometime for handle wraps.Gaurantee you they won't tear out.
I use the contact cement.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:52:20 pm »
Use better leather. Not only will they not teat out, it will probably feel better under your hand too.

I use deer hide and don't punch holes first, just sew it. 3M spray adhesive on the inside of the leather everywhere except where I'm sewing.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 02:56:32 pm »
Yep don't punch holes in this brain tan or rawhide.Just use a glover's needle to sew it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 02:58:28 pm »
Barge cement is like a contact cement. I would think most leather from coats would be rather thin, so like said above,maybe double up around the seam edge. I go to a local Tandy( leather supply store) and rummage through their scrap bin and buy bundles of scraps for very cheap. Then I use the barge cement on the handle wrap, holding back from the seam edges, put a thin coat on 2 sides and belly side of bow handle, glue leather on then stitch. That way you don’t have to pull stitching quite so tight.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 03:01:10 pm »
Thanks guys. I just read the instructions for Barge and it's just contact cement. I guess the guy in the video found a new way to use it.

I had to look up glovers needle. What size do you recommend?

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 03:04:28 pm »
Barge cement is like a contact cement. I would think most leather from coats would be rather thin, so like said above,maybe double up around the seam edge. I go to a local Tandy( leather supply store) and rummage through their scrap bin and buy bundles of scraps for very cheap. Then I use the barge cement on the handle wrap, holding back from the seam edges, put a thin coat on 2 sides and belly side of bow handle, glue leather on then stitch. That way you don’t have to pull stitching quite so tight.

The nearest Tandy's is over a day away and the leather shop wants an arm and a leg for the most useless scrap. I'll scout around. Do you let the glue dry as per the instructions or do you put it on wet?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 03:05:58 pm »
I keep a varied size selection around handy.It depends on thickness or size of your lace or string.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 03:50:13 pm »
I put it on both surfaces and spread thin with a toothpick, it only takes a few minutes to get tacky and I put theleather on. I use it more to hold the leather in place while I stitch, and it keeps the leather from slowly sliding around from extended use. I don’t try to put so much on to necessarily make a perminate bond in case I should ever want to remove it.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 04:09:31 pm »
What about wet forming the leather to your grip using large paper clamps to pull it tight until dry. That way once you trim the leather you don’t have to pull on the thread hard at all to pull it into place.

Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 04:17:42 pm »
DC,,, punch the  holes,,, then glue it on,, it will be stretched,,then sew it up,, pre stretched and glued,, it will look nice and not tear,, (f)

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 04:22:41 pm »
I will try those. I wish I liked the Howard Hill grip. It would be easy, I think.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 04:43:33 pm »
X2 what Brad said.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 05:13:12 pm »
On my first few bows I folded the edge of the leather over a piece of piano wire, glued it and then punched the holes behind it. It worked well except for the last hole on the ends. Sometimes the wire would stick out or the hole would tear.