Author Topic: Need some help on a bamboo backed yellow heart bow  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Iowahedge

Need some help on a bamboo backed yellow heart bow
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:44:04 pm »

First off hope I posted them correctly. Working on this bow it’s roughly 58” ntn. It has a solid piece of yellow heart as the belly with no glued on handle. Would like to get 26” draw length out of it.. Open to any suggestion on where to go now. I think the whole right limb could be bending a little better. Only pulled 12” and something looks off to my untrained eye.  Pictures aren’t the greatest but hopefully they give a rough idea.

Offline Morgan

Re: Need some help on a bamboo backed yellow heart bow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:27:12 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=19540.0

You should Make one of these. Super easy to make and will save you tons of time and keep you from going cross eyed. My eyes will lie to me. I think that bend looks good but like I said, my eyes will lie...

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:45:36 pm »
Assuming it’s a flat limb glue up, it’s s little stiff mid limb on the right, and a little weak just past mid limb on the left

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:57 am »
Assuming it’s a flat limb glue up, it’s s little stiff mid limb on the right, and a little weak just past mid limb on the left
I agree. Fix this area before going any farther.

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:07:24 am »
As noted in a reply I forget to mention that this a flat limbed bow. Thank you for the replies.  Morgan thanks for the link. I’ll work on a making a gizmo probably tonight. I haven’t searched it but I know on another site Eric posted a updated version of the gizmo with a YouTube video is it also on this site somewhere?

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:45:39 am »
I don't see it on this site.  Search Eric Krewson in Youtube and it should come up.  It came up second for me. 

The gizmo is really awesome at this stage of tillering.  Even if you aren't going for a circular tiller it would pick up those areas wizardgoat pointed out.  And after you use it for a few bows your eyes will start to get trained to see those spots on your own. 

I've made a few bamboo/yellowheart bows, maybe 5.  It can make a nice bow but it will fret if you push it too hard.  I'm a little concerned about the length of this bow even though you are only drawing 26".  Even more reason to perfect the tiller before going any further. 

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:44 am »
Maybe a coat of dark paint on the backboard ;D.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 09:21:19 am »
When I use the gizmo I zig zag it across the limb every where the pencil touches the limb then scrape away the marks.  The pencil marks can be hard to see otherwise and I theorize that I might take out limb twist (maybe) but I am also knocking down high spots.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »
Maybe a coat of dark paint on the backboard ;D.
Yes. I have to have a contrasting color or my eyes are worthless at seeing minor differences in bend. I have a piece of tar paper stuck to one wall of my shop just for this reason.