Author Topic: Reflex or recurve in an RD (or maybe any bow)  (Read 2492 times)

Offline DC

Reflex or recurve in an RD (or maybe any bow)
« on: January 06, 2019, 12:00:08 pm »
What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? I have made RD's  with the same tip setback using both methods. The ones with reflex and a sharp recurve seem to be faster than the ones that have the same setback with only reflex. I've only made a few of each so it could be just the luck of the draw but I thought I'd ask.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Reflex or recurve in an RD (or maybe any bow)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:32:32 pm »
Im not quite sure the question,,or not quite sure of the two designs your comparing,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:58:58 pm »
  The recurve has a little more potential for a higher FDC than a d/r bow. The D/R bow can usually get away with a little less mass in the outer limbs. My fastest bows which are right at the top of the heap with others fastest bows weere actually d/r bows that were very close to being recurves, just barely qualified as D/R.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:39:07 pm »
Many years ago recurves replaced D/R in natural material bows.  There must have been a good reason for that.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 04:48:59 pm »
Like these two. They both have the tips about 1/2-1" in front of the handle but they achieve it with a different shape. The top one is a bit faster(about 5fps) and the bottom one is really nice to shoot.

Offline Scyth

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:49:23 pm »
. . . one of my favorite passages . . .

Originally posted by John Havard (Dryad Bows)

Mike asked me to chime in on this thread because to a fault I rarely check online. Regarding the question of "why a static tip": a static tip on a recurve is essentially a siyah used on bow limbs for over a thousand years. A siyah (or static tip) is a lever arm that influences how the recurve limb is stressed.

A traditional bow limb, be it either longbow or recurve, is nothing more than a simple spring. However, the amount of energy stored by that simple spring is a function of its design. How and where it bends along with the overall geometry of the limb and the riser have a marked effect on how much energy per pound of draw it stores - energy storage efficiency or SE/PDF.

There are any number of ways to design a spring/limb. A static tip isn't the only way to do it. Other companies use working limb tips on their recurves and longbows to varying degrees of SE/PDF.

The "feel" of the limb as it's drawn is to some degree subjective and to some degree capable of being objectively measured via a Force/Draw curve. A lever arm/static tip reduces the string angle on the fingers as the bow reaches full draw which helps reduce finger pinch. There is also a notable mellowing-out of the F/D curve as the bow gets toward the upper end of the draw cycle which reduces the incremental pounds per inch of additional draw.

Ultimately it boils down to performance - how efficiently the bow limbs store energy and how much of that stored energy gets transmitted to the arrow. We believe the design of our limb utilizing the ACS is a very good blend of energy storage and dynamic efficiency. Trying to maximize energy storage and the dynamic efficiency of the limb and the subjective feel of the limb yields an "area of common overlap". There are other ways to skin the cat but we feel that our new RCT-X limb offers excellent performance and a very nice "feel".

regards

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:28:43 pm »
My last few deflexed statics where all a little faster then my deflex/reflex self bows. I am really into 3d shooting lately and I am a little more accurate with the reflex/deflex. My statics are a little less forgiving with my shooting habits I guess ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 06:18:00 pm »
It's funny Don cause I had the opposite experience. I made two very similar to yours (a D/R and a D/R with static tips) and the one with static tips was a tad slower. Could have been any number of variables though  :-\
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:41:34 pm »
How do they compare in total reflex?