Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Balance points on shafts

<< < (3/3)

Selfbowman:
The best shot for me so far was under a hundred grains of broadhead . Balancing point 1-1/2" forward of center. Bamboo shaft.

BowEd:
Going under 125 or 145 grain up front will make the spine adjustment on the shaft go in reverse.This is for a 28" draw.Example...Say a 50# bow shoots a 50# spine arrow like a dart and the shaft reads 50 spine on a 26" span.On a 50# bow with a 100 grain trade point the shaft should be 45 spine then or there abouts.
Using the standard formula that 25 grains over or under standard of 125 grain raises or lowers spine 5#'s.

Badger:
   That is true Ed, I normally use 125 grain points and my arrow passes are usually about 1/8" before center. About .520 deflection seems to work pretty good. With my flight broadheads that go between 80 grains and 100 grains most of the time I use about a .560 deflection.

Bob Barnes:
when you guys get it figured out, please let me know.  :)  You are all welcome to come here and shoot any time.  My thinking is that a good bamboo shaft might be the ticket so I plan to make a few with the normal 'big end' at the point...and one or 2 with the nock on the 'big end' to throw the weight more to the middle of the shaft.  I want to try to nearly balance one to see how it does.

Hawkdancer:
Bob,  Sounds like a good test!  Maybe 3 arrows each, each set matched for weight and spine?  Or I didn't read the specs right!  I haven't  made enough bows or arrows to be relevant in the discussion.
Hawkdancer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version