Author Topic: question on bandsaw broadheads  (Read 4220 times)

Offline richpierce

question on bandsaw broadheads
« on: April 03, 2008, 01:42:58 pm »
I got some very wide bandsaw material from a sawmill guy.  It must be air-hardening steel because it is hard and won't anneal by simply heating to red and letting it cool.  It is about 0.062 thick.  Can't be hacksawed w/o ruining a blade every cut.  I tried a dremel with a cutoff wheel but this stuff is hard, hard, hard.  I scribed it with the dremel and am breaking it out with a cold chisel.  About 1 hour into my first broadhead.

Ideas or should I start with some different piece of steel?  I might get a buggered up antique crosscut saw or something.

Offline Radon

• European
Re: question on bandsaw broadheads
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:44:31 pm »
Hi,

the trick for softening such material is to cool it down reeeeeally slow.
Try heating it for example in a garden bbq and leave it in the coal. Next day when the coal is cold take it out and try again.

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:13:33 pm »
Hard has always been good for me. But, instead of a cold shicel (which I've never gotten to work) use a solid vie and strong duck-bills. Wiggle it and snap it. Works like a charm on "hack saw killers" ;).

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:38:06 pm »
It's probably L6 or 15n20 and shouldn't be hard at all.
  Bandsaw steel used for wood cutting can't be much harder than 43 on the rockwell scale or it would crack to pieces while it was running around the wheels. Is this wood cutting saw blades and how was it cut into pieces?  If it is woodcutting bandsaw steel, it will be an oil hardning steel.   Try taking a torch just heating it till you see a shadow follow the flame then let it cool slowly. ;)
    Saw Filer 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »
venisonburger has some blade stock he gives away for shipping costs, makes nice trade points.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 01:09:07 am »
I'll second Dana's comments on VB's blades.  He'll do you right.  Check the Trading Post section, he probably still has a post there.

I cut mine out with a standard Dremel Tool and cut off wheel. 

Good Luck

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline richpierce

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:57:25 pm »
Thanks, we're workin a deal now!
rp

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:22:24 am »
Rich,do you have a chopsaw?If you do, put a 10" cutoff wheel on and cut saw blades with ease,both bandsaw and circular saw.Just wear plenty of eye protection,and a face shield.I've never had any problems,but have heard of an instance of the cutoff wheel coming apart,so use safety equipment.I cut the points out,then final shape them on the grinder.You can turn out a mess of trade points quickly. Hope this helps, God Bless,  PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas