Author Topic: A brief thank you  (Read 2000 times)

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
A brief thank you
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:08:07 am »
Hi all,

As a young bowyer in my 20s with a total of four bows under my belt, I just want to thank all those people that have given me advice, recommendations, and patiently answered what must seem like many ridiculous questions.

Yesterday someone actually offered to purchase a bow from me - which is something I would have thought unimaginable when I ignorantly made that first bow out of a dreadful pine plank (30# at 72") about 6 months ago.

So to all of those who have been such an inspiration with patient words and beautiful work - cheers!

Best regards from Johannesburg, South Africa,

Matt Young
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A brief thank you
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:19:19 am »
That's why we are here, Matt. Glad you were able to get something out of it.
 Pass it on!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 08:30:17 am »
It is good to see a post like this. :) All to often folks just take
the help and time of others for granted :-[
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46:00 am »
I showed a young guy how to make bows, he wasn't much of a craftsman and his first bow was horrible, poorly shaped, poorly tillered and a piece of junk. He told me proudly that a guy saw his bow, and wanted him to make him one so he made the guy a bow for $400. I am sure the second bow was a piece of junk as well but guy who bought it didn't know better.

Get some more bows under your belt before you sell any, don't be like the guy mentioned above and scam someone.

I made 40 bows before I sold one, this is a little extreme but I wanted to put a good product out there.   

Offline MattZA

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 07:18:46 am »
Oh I'm not selling one, Eric.

It was just that someone actually liked it enough to want one.

That said, I don't think my bows are pieces of junk. They're all carefully tillered to their exact intended shape, are at their intended weight, and have shot hundreds of arrows with no more than 1 1/2" of set (besides my first attempt, but that was made without any prior knowledge whatsoever. It has about 2 1/4" of set).

Irrespective, though. I don't intend to scam anyone.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:48:15 am »

I guess some just don't see your intended message of THANKS :'( but I do. :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:38:42 am »
Glad you found the help here Matt. I to have and continue to thank all those on this site that have helped me. It is a amazing group that share this site.

I also understand Eric's concerns. It's part of the reason that selfbows get a bad reputation. I'm not sure there's a certain number of bows that qualifies a person to be a good bowyer. I've seen first time bows that where very well tillered. I've seen ones that where made by bowyers with years of experience of be afraid draw. It's something that can be tought, but some people just seem to have a nack for it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:01:24 am »
Matt,
Even we old guys learn something on this site!  These folks have a wealth of knowledge about a lot of skills involved with bow making, and primitive skills.  I will add a +2 to your Thank you!  Congratulations on your progress.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline MattZA

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 03:14:05 pm »
Oh I understand the concerns, bjrogg, I really do.

I wouldn't sell one of my bows right now even if it had over 2000 arrows through it. I'm just not comfortable with my workmanship yet to allow someone to pay me.

I'm currently working on a tiny 42" bamboo tri-lam (length including little 4" siyahs). It's drawing 28# at 17" (off a 1" brace height for now). The current aim is around 35# at 24". It hasn't taken a touch of set yet, and I still haven't heat tempered the belly.

If I get this one right, then I'll be really proud, haha.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 03:15:13 pm »
Oh, by tri-lam, I literally mean 3 lams of bamboo.

Did I mention the whole bow is 3/4" wide?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »
Matt I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 06:09:54 pm »
Sounds like you are doing everything right, good for you!