Author Topic: Storm Wood  (Read 1598 times)

Offline simk

Storm Wood
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:43:31 am »
Hi All

Last night we had a bad storm which fell a 100 years old apple tree.

I could probably get a few nice staves out of it...is it worth the effort? Does apple make nice bows or better firewood?

Thanx for support

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Storm Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:02:18 am »
Most fruit woods make good bows but please be careful cutting. There can be unseen stresses in a blown down tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:53:24 am »
thanx Pat - I'll take care of course.
Anybody already built an apple-bow? what about compression ability? is apple a "long&wide" wood? any design suggestions? thanx a lot and cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:32 am »
I've seen a handful on here and I'm sure its good bow wood. It holds up heavy apples in the fall. You can really never go wrong with long and wide, at least to start with. If its holding its shape well as you go along then you can narrow it a bit or shorten it a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 03:17:27 pm »
Apple is really good bow wood! I remember a really beautiful flatbow from Simson that was pretty heavy and even had grain runoff and cracks.

Found it: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59199.0.html

Offline simk

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:24:40 am »
Thanx leonwood - that makes me confident to just skip the slightly boring long&wide stage  :BB
--- the queen rules ----

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 05:47:09 am »
Excellent bowwood. That and crabapple. Incredibly jealous! Also, many people want it for turning, so you shouldn't let any of that tree go to waste. You can mill it and sell the blanks to wood turners for good money or cut the trunk into slabs. Beautiful and highly desirable wood at the moment. There is very little applewood available since people obviously are growing it for apples not lumber. A few limbs on that tree look like plausible staves and you could also billet some smaller clean pieces. Get the chainsaw, sledgehammer and wedges out and be sure to seal up the end good and well and store it in a place with relatively stable humidity or it'll check like crazy on you.

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:44 am »
 :OK :OK :OK :BB
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:36 am »
Might even find a few arrows there!  What scraps there are will make excellent smoke for meat and hides!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:42 am »
I was going to mention Simions's apple bow but Leonwood beat me to it. It's a beautiful bow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise