Author Topic: Help with Tree ID (possibly Ash?)  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Bojahu

Help with Tree ID (possibly Ash?)
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:40:22 pm »
I live in eastern idaho and was on a drive this weekend out along a river running through some woods. I couldn't help but notice all the willow, cottonwood and aspen filling every nook and cranny along the road with the occasional clump of short twisted hawthorn. And as I was daydreaming about the hardwood forests of the east or stand of osage in Texas... I spotted a small stand of what appeared to be an unknown hardwood species starting to turn yellow with fall setting in. So I hopped out and looked it over. I took a bunch of pictures  then went home to try and ID it. But up to this point I haven't had any luck. I went and cut one down thinking what the heck, tall straight growing hardwood is far and inbetween here in east idaho so I figured I'd try and make a bow out of what ever it is and just keep the limbs wide for safety. But as I was carving one of the branches of that tree into a big serving spoon last night for my wife I started looking at the grain and then started looking at the leaves again and the closest darn thing i can think it would be is an Ash... which makes no sense as ash doesn't really grow here at all to my knowledge, other than maybe in some ones yard. So I am here to see if any one can help me get some sleep tonight by getting me a positive ID on this darn tree. Again I think it may be some sort of ash, but I am not getting my hopes too high. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline Bojahu

Re: Help with Tree ID (possibly Ash?)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:45:26 pm »
A few more

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:25:14 am »
Looks like ash;  the compound leaves, diamond pattern bark, one of the first trees in the woods to drop its leaves.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:42:13 am »
X-2

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:57 am »
It's Ash.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:59:32 am »
White ash probably but could be green ash too. Either way it should make a bow.

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:27:40 am »
Looks like ash to me. The last few bows I made of ash were wide and heavily toasted, and turned out better than I expected. I am hard pressed to find an ash around me that isn't dead now...wish I would have cut more.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:23:41 pm »
Definitely ash.  )W(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:23 pm »
Green ash

Offline Bojahu

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 05:41:17 pm »
Is green ash a decent bow wood? Could I do a thinner profile with it or would I be looking at needing 2 inches up to mid limb

Offline Bojahu

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 10:46:31 pm »
Thank you for all the replays fellas, I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. I've go ahead and split 2 staves out of the bottom 6 feet of the tree, and the super knotted up 6 feet above that I will try and pull a gnarly character bow out of. Hopefully I'll have some time to rough out atleast one of the staves to cut down on drying time so I'll have a new bow to share in a month or so. Thanks again for all the help!