Author Topic: Monarchs  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Zuma

Monarchs
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »
I have been watching the migration this fall a little more since I have been home a lot.
Also my neighbor and her children collected a few ca coons to watch pupate.
 They were on milkweed plants that are necessary to feed the caterpillars.
I think the chart speaks for it self.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:31:32 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Monarchs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:40:41 pm »
We have a few here every summer. I don't know what their route is in getting here or where they go from here. There is a field beside my house that has a lot of milkweed.

WA

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 02:28:11 am »
Here in Michigan, usually it's Mid Augus !t when the Migration begins. I believe the little Buggers wing it all the way South of Mexico  (A ! Bob)
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:48:13 am »
We get some along the front range, not large numbers, but it is quite dry through out this region.  They are a neat sight to see!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:24:13 pm »
I have about half an acre of solid milkweed, then more randomly throughout the rest of the property. I've lived here for 3 years years now, and this year we've seen more monarchs then ever.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:56:41 am »
Years ago my wife and I were looking for a new car. We were at a car lot in Hendersonville, NC, I went inside to talk to someone and when I came back out my wife said to look up. The sky was almost black with the Monarchs a few hundred feet above us. The migration should be going over us about now but I haven't noticed any.
 I have a few small patches of milkweed growing around our property but I haven't seen any Monarchs on them. They have been past the flowering stage for a while now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:37:17 am »

Thanks Chip you are in TX?
chamook, I would guess that far north they need a little more traveling time.
Thanks dancer, you are near Denver?
Good to hear dave. They have slowed down around my place.
Pat the Monarchs passing my place should be down your way but most likely
on the west side of the Blue Ridge.
Thanks for all the reports.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 11:50:19 am »
We are about 45 miles north of Denver, but there is so much building going on that it is hard to tell where the Denver area stops!  It is about the same distance to the commissaries, though!  But much more pleasant to drive up to Cheyenne most days!  Less traffic.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 09:33:15 am »
Dancer, with all that construction, try finding some disturbed ground near a river or creek.
You might find some relics or Forrest Fenn's cashe. :) :D ;D
Still a few migrants passing her yesterday.
Zuma

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 10:45:45 pm »
Yeah". There was a triceratops uncovered in Thornton at the Amazon Construction site last year - quite a find, nearly complete skeleton!  Gratefully, the construction company moved the work to another section, and I think they even loaned some workers to the excavation of the skeleton!  Haven't found any artifacts, but haven't really looked either!  Sooner or later! >:D
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 05:30:28 am »
It's probably been about ten years ago now. We had a sugar beet variety test plot on my farm. This was before the ash trees all died. I went to look at the plot and there were thousands of monarchs covering the ash trees. It looked like the pictures you see of them in the amazon. The next day I got a call from the fellow who was doing the research at the plot. He asked me if I saw all the butterflies?  I told him I did. I'd never seen anything like it before or since. Was amazing.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 09:33:13 am »
Cool info Dancer and BJ.  8)
it's what makes this site so worth my while. :) :)
 Jerry I hope you get to send us a photo of the three pronged monster
when they put it back together.
BJ now i will have to find the connection between the Monarchs and Ash trees. :o
Zuma

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 10:14:54 am »
Zuma, not sure there's any connection. Just about the only trees that were growing in this particular location. Now there's nothing but blackberry bushes. The ash were all dead now and I took them down last winter. There on piles now for firewood. Man there was a lot of beautiful lumber wasted there.

Like is said, I've never seen it before or since. One of those things you never forget though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 09:45:16 am »
They used to come through here like flocks ,ive seen only one this year.