Author Topic: Should I Heat-Treat?  (Read 1646 times)

cool_98_555

Should I Heat-Treat?
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:42:14 am »
I just finished a really good-shooting osage bow the other day and I shot it in several times since then.  It is laid out asymmetrically, with the top limb being longer than the bottom.  After shooting it for awhile there is about 3/4" of set on the top limb and about 1.5" of set on the bottom.  Is this within normal set to just leave it alone?  I was considering heat-treating the belly to eliminate the set but i'm thinking it's just minimal so it won't make much of a difference.  What do you guys think?  Maybe I can crank out a little more performance by heat-treating the belly....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Should I Heat-Treat?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:58:38 am »
Put it on a caul and give it a heat treatment.   Generally the lower limb gets more stress so the set issues seem typical. Ideally you want to do a heat treatment before set occurs but it might help some now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:43:51 pm »
Well I shot it several more times, and the top limb is at 1.5" of set while the bottom is at 1.75" of set.  I tried shooting the bow through the chronograph and I got 206fps with a 525gr arrow and 185 with a 662gr arrow.  Draw weight is 88# at 29".  Still thinking about heat-treating but not sure yet....

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:58:15 pm »
What are you going after with that much power, elephants?  >:D

cool_98_555

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 06:01:21 pm »
Well I love the heavier bows, and when you see that arrow fly really fast and hit the target hard, it makes you feel great :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:46:57 am »
 (lol) :BB not if you have 44# shoulders!  More power to you(pun intended!). I will have to depend on shot placement and sharp broad heads!  Trying to draw that much weight would have me seeing my surgeon again!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry