Author Topic: First Elm. 7000 year old Holmegaard replica.  (Read 5314 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
First Elm. 7000 year old Holmegaard replica.
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:50:20 am »
I met Springbuck, he lives less than an hour from my house. He said he had an elm stave. I stopped by and he gave me enough wood for at least 7 bows. Elm, mulberry, osage and plum. He has a side job of cutting trees and claimed if I didn't take the wood it may be wasted if the bugs get to it. Great guy!
 This is Siberian elm. It is considered a trash tree here. Invasive, grows all over down in Salt Lake City and much of the west. I've had plenty of chances to get plenty of this wood but have passed. Someone asked me for a Holmegaard replica and I needed some elm for the project. The stave I got was a sapling with knots but split totally straight. The 7000 year old bow also had lumps along the back from knots. Google Holmegaard bow to see photos of the 7000 year old bow. One limb took no set and retained all the setback the limb began with. The other had more knots and i left all of them with more wood for a long lasting bow. That gives it less bending length but it still has barely any set in that limb and still a slight setback. Elm is now one of my favorite woods. It gives off a wonderful smell when working with it. I recognised the smell from the two HHB bows I had made that is related to elm. The color is beautiful too. The wood is as fast as any I have worked with. Maybe I just got a great piece of wood. I'll see after making a couple more elm bows.
  The bow is 64" long. No nocks, just a taper to the tip. I added a sinew wrap so I could use a 10 strand fast flight endless loop string. Draws 53# @ 27". Finished with a few coats of tung oil. I did have a chance to test the bow with a 468 grain target arrow. I'm in the second driest state in the US and When I tested it the weather had been dry for a extended time(fire season). I usually keep all my bows is a room with RH at least 30%, but had this bow in my hot shop where the humidity dropped well below that. The bow was drawing 51 to 52# at 26" and felt very strained. It felt as if it would blow if i took it to 27". I tested it at 26" draw. Average arrow speed 189 fps. 5 of the shots were between 191 and 193. I think the bow was at the optimum moisture level for the 26" draw as far as performance goes. As far as a long lasting safe bow too dry. I put it in a room with 60% rh for 2 days and drew it 27" again without fear. The draw weight was only a bound or two over the 26" dry bow draw and the speed no faster. Still a great shooting bow.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: First Elm. 7000 year old Holmegaard replica.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:52:07 am »
Full draw

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:15:31 am »
Wow, thats a good one.             great to hear your comments regarding humidity and performance. 70% humidity here in pa :(

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:33:41 am »
Very nice Chuck and nice performance numbers to. I know a few people that really like Elm. Especially saplings. It does sound like there's lot of different sub species and ring thickness variations. I've only made one Elm so far and I pretty much screwed that one up. It's really humid here now and raining.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 10:35:12 am »
Very nice! I was beginning to think you couldn't get speeds like that from a straight(ish) bow. Good job!

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 10:50:06 am »
Very nice work. Great to see a faithful replica of a holmegaard style bow.

Kyle

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:14 am »
Now that's a sweet replica!
Absolutely great thing and a pretty nice wood too. That hump'de bumps looks so nice and you've managed to get a perfect tiller on that character stave. That arrow speed is impressive - I never got it with a straight bow.
Thanks for your texting - all interesting.
As a side note, a few years ago I've blown 3 good elm longbows within 30 minutes. The reason was to dry, rh below 30%. If I remember right is was ulmus glabra.
I love this one - a primitive European.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 01:27:43 pm »
Great looking bow. I love the simple clean lines .
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 02:36:20 pm »
Thanks everyone. Simson, this bow was too dry when I tested it. It was as fast as it could be but also a little dangerous. After it absorbed a little moisture it was fine but even with a extra " of draw the speed slowed by a few fps but still in the mid 180s.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 02:57:45 pm »
That's a heck of bow Chuck, w/ truly awesome performance. You certainly got the most out of that wood. Congrats!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 05:14:12 am »
Beautiful bow! Really nice with the character. Glad you did not put anything on like it should on a bow like that!

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:45:56 am »
A beautiful spot on replica.Great job on a tricky stave.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 04:29:28 am »
Great looking bow and good numbers! A lot of knots to work around, too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 08:00:38 am »
Great looking bow Chuck.Like the outcome.Tiller is spot on.Love the character to it too.It does'nt get a regular 30% humidity even in the winter here.Goes to show a person what moisture levels in wood mean.I always try to make the bow at the moisture level I'm going to store it at.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:28:02 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 06:20:54 am »
Very nice in all aspects!not hard to believe the northern European had designed a bow 7000 years ago that still holds it's own against the most modern of today!I love lever bows!bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.