Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 77735 times)

Offline richpierce

Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 01:36:54 pm »
I'll give it a go but it would be hard to beat Justin's.  Flax-backed osage, 36", deflex/reflex, 45# at 20" is my goal.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2008, 04:10:42 pm »
i dunno about a concealed carry bow but i might try it. until then ill be sure to keep my .45 handy to protect me from tree hugging anti-hunters.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2008, 04:15:07 pm »
OK, so reading the rules I wanted to know if a laminated bow is ok?
What about recurves?
As long as I meet the length and draw weight requirements I assume....

Alex

Yep! Revurves and laminates are fine. As long as you can get the draw weight, length and show it can be concealed your good to go!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2008, 04:17:24 pm »
Ya left High Resulotion pictures out of the rules...bunch of ameteurs ::) :)

I thought touching up the photos could be allowed!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:57 pm »
i dunno about a concealed carry bow but i might try it. until then ill be sure to keep my .45 handy to protect me from tree hugging anti-hunters.

I'm of the same mind too. But this sounded like a fun project.  Some of the city folk up here get jumpy if your carying a walking stick arround with ya!  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:21 pm »
I'll give it a go but it would be hard to beat Justin's.  Flax-backed osage, 36", deflex/reflex, 45# at 20" is my goal.

Great! I'm thinking along simmilar lines. Later in the year I'm hoping to harvest some stinging nettles and try to make one using the nettle fibres for backing. Instead of Ossage though I'm thinking a different type of hardwood. May even try Yew or Juniper to see what will happen with a lighter wood.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2008, 04:25:26 pm »
Don't most city park forbit shooting of bow in the north west? at least they do here. State parks different story, Thought ya could hunt in a state park as long as no people were around correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi PK! Up here I believe its illegal to carry a firearm in the National Parks but it OK in the National Forests. Dont know about City Parks but I wont be hiking there anyways.

I would have to look up the rules again on bows but I dont think there are any. Could be wrong! But my motive is that most city folks out hiking tend to get a bit jumpy seeing a guy carying any type of weapon these days. Also, dont want to always be carying a bow in one hand or the other all day. Sometimes I need both hands out on the trail when getting into tight spots.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2008, 05:16:21 pm »
You might want to check into the local laws defining "firearm."  Nowithstanding that the "fire" part of that is derived from the use of gun powder, some define that as including a bow, others not.

Also, whether or not it is legal, an arrow could be concealed in a walking stick.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2008, 05:53:56 pm »
You guys are too funny.
D. Tiller should have added another rule.....NO TANTRUMS.  >:D

Some ideas that have not been mentioned yet:

Snake bow...Self-explanitory....just start wrestling with it or throw it down on the trail and start taking pictures...."Wow, that's a cool snake!"
Paddle bow.....make the bow look like an actual paddle (for a canoe) and ask passersby "Hey! You know where the nearest lake is??".
Psycho bow....a bow that looks like a bloody axe (no one will mess with you...and it helps if you look like Jack Nicholson in The Shining).
Boomerang bow.....when someone walks by just throw it away and it will come back when they are gone.

Seriously.....most of us have read at least the first TBB and making as small bow is not a problem if it's wide enough.  True, you will look like a trail sign while holding the bow but at least you can kill a deer with it.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:57:06 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2008, 06:08:11 pm »
Oh yeah...this was posted on April fool's day, was it not?.....hmmmmmmmm......... ::)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2008, 06:19:40 pm »
Oh yeah...this was posted on April fool's day, was it not?.....hmmmmmmmm......... ::)

No April fools here!  ;D  Just want to see what can be made for hiking arround with and make it concealable.  There are a lot of smart guys here who should really have a good time with this one! I know I will!!!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
Tiller....hope you don't think I'm making fun of this whole thing....just wanted to lighten the mood.  ;D

It's a great idea, really. 8)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2008, 08:08:49 pm »
I'm up for it. Gotta go get a hickory stick :).

As for funky arrows, no one around here thinks an arrow made of wood and under 30" is really a weapn anyway ;D!

I can also use this as an excuse to use "reverse staving" 8)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2008, 08:12:46 pm »
I'm in, I'm fine with the rules.  It's all for fun.  I have a plan but don't want to divlulge it as it will probably show my inexperience.  Is it possible to ward off a compression fracture by adding linen or a thin strip of boo to the belly?
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2008, 08:24:53 pm »
I'm in, I'm fine with the rules.  It's all for fun.  I have a plan but don't want to divlulge it as it will probably show my inexperience.  Is it possible to ward off a compression fracture by adding linen or a thin strip of boo to the belly?

Dont think compresion failures could be stopped by linnen. But I could be wrong! Now boo might work. Horn is always a good bet! Some others here might be more knowledgeable about it though.