Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 77693 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 12:02:03 am »
Ok! Lets define the rules:

1) One peice bow. No take downs! (We want to push our limits!)
2) Bow must be less than 40" long and/or conceilable in your pack and not interfeer with your hiking.
3) No sinew! (Yep! You got it. Its a challenge!) Reason is that sinew will react to moisture and when you hike in incliment weather or cross a stream its going to get wet no matter what ya do.
4) Any material any backing goes. As long as its not sinew!
5) Bow must be strong enough to take a deer with.
6) Draw length as long as you can get away with. (Sound good to all of you?)
7) Must show a picture of bow after its built and show it strung, unstrung and concealed. Bonus - Go get a deer with it durring hunting season or any other game!  ;D

Bonus #2 !!! See if you can make one that can be strung all day and still be hidden in your pack or carry container!

How do those sound?

Justin, sorry it's backed with sinew but I do like it! Looks like a blast to shoot and fun to make!

Yankee, I made 3 and only one came through but the one that did is sweet.

Sorry ta dissapoint ya but sinew will NOT get wet NO MATTER what ya do ! Where do ya get this info  ? From ya chrystal ball ?.bob

Offline sailordad

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 12:05:17 am »
originally i thought htis would be a cool concept. a concealed bow.

my first thought was a takedown,then i thought a  walking stick, now i'm thinking too many damn rules on how i should conceal my bow.
so  now i'm thinking, screw it i dont care if anyone sees it or not. jmho
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 12:17:18 am »
hey .. quit whinnin.. get to shaving and cutting.. and lets see some ersults.. you make my platoon sound not so whinny... and that is saying alot
death by natural causes

Offline sailordad

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:36 am »
whos whinnin.

i just dont think thats the right definition of concealed,it should be as long as its not recognized as a weapon.

they dont tell me what kind of holster to carry with or what type of handgun to carry they just tell me keep it concealed so as not to be seen.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 01:56:19 am »
Gosh guys, don't participate if you don't want to. No one is forcing you to. The only thing is, if you want to participate, don't question or comlain about the rules. Especially don't complain about them, because if you don't like them, you're under no obligation to keep to them. Just build one to your own specifications, and show us, but not in the contest.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 02:17:25 am »
Gosh guys, don't participate if you don't want to. No one is forcing you to. The only thing is, if you want to participate, don't question or comlain about the rules. Especially don't complain about them, because if you don't like them, you're under no obligation to keep to them. Just build one to your own specifications, and show us, but not in the contest.
     Sean
Sean, let us know when the rule list is complete. You see, when this started there were no rules except concealed.  Guys say takedown but then a rule is created for no takedown.  I post a bow with sinew and all of a sudden no sinew is allowed.  So when you say don't complain about the rules, maybe you should get some and stick to them. 

Bob is sooooo right. The Massey finish is well known to many bowyers as being able to protect sinew even when it has been dropped in a river for a week.  The Indians had ways of doing it for hundreds of years that are not so well known. I assure you it can be done and with all natural materials. 

Sailordad, I'm with you.  There are many practical ways of doing it but practicality and common sense seem to be against the rules so why bother. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 04:09:58 am »
Justin and sailordad you didn't read my earlier posts. If you don't like the rules you really don't have to participate. I have asked what you wanted to define the rules to be so I put some out there.  The object here is a challenge and see what people come up with.  Everyone and I mean everyone comes up with takedowns or sinew backing to get a bow short. Lets see what can be done without sinew or takedowns. Lets push the envelope on what primitive bows can achieve. Plus its a pretty cool concept having a bow you can put away and carry on your back out of site and out of mind. Even better if its still strung! 

So who's up for the challenge?

David T

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

PK

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 05:08:58 am »
Don't most city park forbit shooting of bow in the north west? at least they do here. State parks different story, Thought ya could hunt in a state park as long as no people were around correct me if I'm wrong.

Far East Archer

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2008, 07:20:39 am »
OK, so reading the rules I wanted to know if a laminated bow is ok?
What about recurves?
As long as I meet the length and draw weight requirements I assume....

Alex

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2008, 10:04:50 am »

David, you been smoking crack with all those tree huggers haven't you.  Why not add another rule. It must shoot a 800 grain arrow at 2000000000 fps.  Set the crack pipe down and get a clue.  Justin
[/quote]

Justin....did you misspell that last word.....Clue.....you meant........ GLUE....didnt you!!!!!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Minuteman

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 10:52:47 am »
I think I'm gonna go build one of those Bhutanese takedowns anyway. been wanting to.
 Don't like short bows so ya'll have fun!
 :P

Justin you need to behave!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
I think one thing has been forgotten in this post.
You might be able to build a bow that can be consealed or does not look like a bow.
But, what about the arrows?  It will be hard to build arrows that don't look like arrows.

If you are someplace where bows and arrows are not allowed and "The Man" ask to inspect your goods???
Well, he will find the arrows.

However, I have for some time thought about building a "walking stick" bow.  I think it could be done with bamboo.  Two pieces, left round, joined in the middle with a plug.  About 6' long, pulling 40 or so pounds.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2008, 12:14:06 pm »
Lets see what can be done without sinew or takedowns. Lets push the envelope on what primitive bows can achieve. Plus its a pretty cool concept having a bow you can put away and carry on your back out of site and out of mind. Even better if its still strung!

So basically all we really have to do is change the laws of physics I guess.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 12:18:37 pm »
Sounds like fun,but no thanks,I'll be watching what yall come up with tho.On second
thought I only draw about 18 inches most of the time anyway.  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2008, 01:27:07 pm »
Ya left High Resulotion pictures out of the rules...bunch of ameteurs ::) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI