Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 77689 times)

grantmac

Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 05:07:48 pm »
I believe what your after has already been made:
http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com/merchant.ihtml?id=32&step=2

I still think that a takedown isn't much penality to carry around but thats just me.
     Cheers,
             Grant

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »
I see a bow!!! Failed the first test of CCB (concealed Carry Bow) or Backpack Bow!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline markinengland

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 05:16:52 pm »
How about a hinge bow? This could be pulled out, straightened and strung almost as fast as a short bow and maybe be more practical. I haven't yet found a hinge fitting strong enough though.
Another option may be a butanese style bamboo bow. these are quite capable of accurate long distance shooting so should be OK for hunting as well. The pics I have seen show the bowyer nailing the bamboo slat together and then binding the handle overlap. it should be quite easy to come up with some simple and quick way of assembling to two bamboo slats, stringing and shooting. This could even be as basic as a couple of wing nuts, or maybe something a little more gracefull and primitive.
Mark in England

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 05:37:08 pm »
I like the way your thinking Mark!  ;D That would be a solution to the size problem. But isn't that getting away from the challenge though? Still makes a full sized bow. Its concealable though!

My main reason for the challenge is to put limiting factors on the bow and see what people come up with. I kind of like the idea of a bow thats small enough to hide out and still be ready to go. Kind of like carrying a concealed firearm, pull it, shoot it, put it away.

How about a deflex/reflex design? deflex slightly from the handle so the main bending area does not take much strain when strung then reflex the tips just enough to elliminat string follow and bring the FD curve up a bit at brace height on the deflex design to equal that of a longer bow? Keep an 1" to 1 1/2" full length  or pyramid design with slightly bending handle? How about low braice heght so it does not strain the limbs on a short bow of say 36"? Maybe flax backing or nettle backing?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 05:39:07 pm »
David who looses half of their bow?  ::) Beside I thought you were putting a cap on the tube.  ???

What draw length are you looking for.  A 18" draw is going to require a bow in the 36" range and probable sinew backed at that.  The other option would be 36" serious reflex deflex recurve much like Marc's hickory backed osage bow in the bow of the month contest.  Neither are practical as concealed bows.  A 36" tube with the top at shoulder height will still hit me at mid thigh and I am 6'3".  Do you have any idea how anoying that would get after you hiked 100 yards much less 5 miles.  If you want to carry a toy, go ahead. If you want an effective bow you are going to have to go takedown of some sort or think walking stick cammo. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 06:05:16 pm »
Justin, lets see what you can come up with under these conditions! Check out the Modoc designed bows and the Hupa of the Northwest. Or some of the Pueget Sound bows. They are sometime less than 36" pulling at least 45# at 18". 32" would make one that would work. Lets play with designs and materials and see what we can come up with under these constraints.  ;)

David T.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 07:37:34 pm »
How many 36 inch Paddle Bows have you made??? I prefer Paddle Bows over any other style...but I have built mine Larger to get over the Drawbacks of a small Bow...I have gone from the Norm to 60-66 inches in length and gained cociderable Power and Bow Life over their smaller counterparts....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:01 pm »
Guys, the challenge it'sself is the point. ::)  It's not necessarily the practicality, though it is convenient to have a bow that's less than about 40", and lot's of fun. :)
I know that it is far more logical to make a take down, but this is a challenge! Just go for it!

David, I'm in. It has to be less than what? 40"? 36"?
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

grantmac

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 08:52:04 pm »
I think an all-bamboo design would probably work pretty darn well.
Does the bow have to be braced in the "holster" or just fit in there unbraced? And what are your minimums for draw-length and weight?
      Cheers,
          Grant

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 09:07:21 pm »
OK David if you insist here is my entry. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3198.0.html Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mitchman

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 09:18:11 pm »
ive made a semi serius one that looked like a walking stick with string on it. i brought it into the park and shot at stuff with it. then when someone walked by a unstrung it.  very cool

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 09:57:56 pm »
Wow!!! Lots of ideas out there.  I still like the idea of a 1 piece for the challenge.  I'm new to the whole bow building so my input should be taken with a grain of salt.  Just think if you're really stuck on the idea of a takedown, blow everybodys mind and make a 2 pc. NTN 46" bow.  Now that would be concealable.  :o  I know putting a 2pc. together takes no time at all, but not putting one together is even faster. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:02:24 pm by ricktrojanowski »
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 10:02:04 pm »
Hickory, 2 1/2" wide, 45" long, with a 1 3/4" wide handle (Western coast style D bow), recurved tips to hold the string. 55# at 22" (maube out to 24"). Toast the belly to get the draw weight, not thickness. No backing. Having abused hickory a great deal, it would do well like this. What do you guys think?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 10:45:31 pm »
Ok! Lets define the rules:

1) One peice bow. No take downs! (We want to push our limits!)
2) Bow must be less than 40" long and/or conceilable in your pack and not interfeer with your hiking.
3) No sinew! (Yep! You got it. Its a challenge!) Reason is that sinew will react to moisture and when you hike in incliment weather or cross a stream its going to get wet no matter what ya do.
4) Any material any backing goes. As long as its not sinew!
5) Bow must be strong enough to take a deer with.
6) Draw length as long as you can get away with. (Sound good to all of you?)
7) Must show a picture of bow after its built and show it strung, unstrung and concealed. Bonus - Go get a deer with it durring hunting season or any other game!  ;D

Bonus #2 !!! See if you can make one that can be strung all day and still be hidden in your pack or carry container!

How do those sound?

Justin, sorry it's backed with sinew but I do like it! Looks like a blast to shoot and fun to make!

Yankee, I made 3 and only one came through but the one that did is sweet.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 11:54:41 pm »
Ok! Lets define the rules:

1) One peice bow. No take downs! (We want to push our limits!)
2) Bow must be less than 40" long and/or conceilable in your pack and not interfeer with your hiking.
3) No sinew! (Yep! You got it. Its a challenge!) Reason is that sinew will react to moisture and when you hike in incliment weather or cross a stream its going to get wet no matter what ya do.
4) Any material any backing goes. As long as its not sinew!
5) Bow must be strong enough to take a deer with.
6) Draw length as long as you can get away with. (Sound good to all of you?)
7) Must show a picture of bow after its built and show it strung, unstrung and concealed. Bonus - Go get a deer with it durring hunting season or any other game!  ;D

Bonus #2 !!! See if you can make one that can be strung all day and still be hidden in your pack or carry container!

How do those sound?

Justin, sorry it's backed with sinew but I do like it! Looks like a blast to shoot and fun to make!

Yankee, I made 3 and only one came through but the one that did is sweet.

David, you been smoking crack with all those tree huggers haven't you.  Why not add another rule. It must shoot a 800 grain arrow at 2000000000 fps.  Set the crack pipe down and get a clue.  Justin

SW Utah