Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 76815 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2008, 08:46:56 pm »

Paddle bow.....make the bow look like an actual paddle (for a canoe) and ask passersby "Hey! You know where the nearest lake is??".

I've thought seriously about it, make it about 5 feet long, and keep the center narrow and round, then make the very ends really wide (at least 4"-5"), then you can string it up shoot from your kayak!  ;D
David, yep I'm in, I'm thinking about an osage selfbow, I like 'em! ;)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2008, 01:19:18 am »
Wait a second, 5 feet? I mean 72-80".  ;D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Gaitanson

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2008, 05:51:56 am »
This is something that a lot of us have obviously thought of and unfortunately the times (like Hillbilly alluded to) more or less demand a low profile when hiking in forests that have become more like city parks in many places. But remember this: The most concealable object is the object that lies in plain sight and yet is never recognized as such. A walking cane that is actually a bow or a stick that folds in two at a hinge that is actually a bow. Rules for any project simply dampen creativity. I see PVC and I immediately think that something is being concealed, though it can be simply a rod and reel. There are many possibilities here. But with so many creative minds out there the answers to this question should get very interesting.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:55 pm »
It wont look like PVC when I'm done with it. Look more like a leather tube.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline possum

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2008, 03:22:17 pm »
just hang some lures and stuff from the tube and that IS what someone would think.

shame about the sinew... I love the stuff.   :-\

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2008, 05:21:02 pm »
Ahh! But what a challenge!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2008, 07:43:17 pm »
My brother and I are both in :). We started abusing some wet hickory today. When they start drying out we'll be able to get the closer to finished bows.

I think this contest is more about who can get the most from a little bow- at least for me. Kyle's already trying to out-do me, his is 4" shorter than mine :D!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2008, 07:53:52 pm »
Cool Kegan! I have not even started yet. The ol'soap factory is keeping me busy. One day I will again retreat to my man cave. At least it smells prety good!!! ;D

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:01 pm »
Started mine at work today, 39 15/16" You said under 40 right ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2008, 02:45:32 am »
Sure! 39 15/16" still comes under 40!

Gaitanson

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2008, 03:16:00 am »
Man, I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. This is going to be very interesting!! 

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2008, 11:59:09 am »
Acutally, I've got two in the works. I allready had a hickory short bow going, and I've gotten an osage one atarted to. I love how thesse bows can be finished in very little time! :)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

stickchick

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2008, 03:03:00 am »
alright guys...bowmunky13 and I have been working on a bow for a about a day...we took river cane given to us by mike123 we "strung" them together with twine and then put some duck tape on it to help with strength. It is 50 inches. And draws 20 lbs at 26 inches. We have shot it and it shoots really good...yes I know that it isn't a standard bow but for consealment we went with something thinner that we figured would have a nice snap... as for the ducktape and twine we decided to go with something that most of us would have in our car or truck on a hunting trip. It can fit in a backpack and is quicky strung, and because of the materials used you could make it at camp....we will post some pictures soon.

stickchick

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2008, 03:19:37 am »
alright alright I know it isn't 40 inches or shorter but with our ruck sacks we can leave it strung and they are consealed....so we figured that it would still work.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2008, 09:09:54 pm »
Nice going! But, sorry, still under the weight limit of 45#'s.  Concealed is good though. I really do want to see a picture of it still. Sounds pretty cool to me!  ;D