Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 76770 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2008, 09:24:28 pm »
How are folks' bows coming, and how many of us are there who are doing this thing?  ???
I'm almost done with mine, I decided on hickory, as I already had one the right size laid out on a hickory board stave. I reflexed the handle and recurved the tips, it has a gull wing shape. I just have to final tiller it.
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
Mine snapped at a bad spot in the wood- my brother's still going strong though :).

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:08 pm »
Have not had time to start yet! Been at the Classic and had a blast though. Will be getting on it later this summer if I have time. Looking to get some nettle fibers for a backing material and make mabe a wide short indian style bow with a crowned nettle backing and maybe some reflecxing and deflexing going on. Still thinking about the design and may change it a bit as time goes on.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Far East Archer

« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2008, 01:28:01 pm »
I have created the ULTIMATE backpack bow!!!!! :o

Well, not really LOL It was going to be the ultimate bow but it failed and now Im left with a 10# bow with tip alignment problems. :P
Its still pretty amazing bow and will make a nice "toy" while it lasts. Well, I guess I post it anyways just for lookin at. ;D In the morning of course.....

49" ntn
39" strung length
10#@26"
14" of unstrung reflex

The bow is Bamboo with spliced in mulberry (sapwood) siyahs and ash wood handle. It has sinew backing and was suppose to have a raw boo belly, but I screwed up on the gluing process and so that aint gonna work anymore. Just gonna start over again the right way. I think I will just leave it as is, ugly, or maybe later I might decide to make it a little more presentable LOL

Alex

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:49:22 am by Far East Archer »

Offline Badger

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2008, 02:53:06 pm »
    I have built some bows for a friend of mine that found a pocket within city limits that is still legal to hunt, he doesn't want to be seen carring in a bow so i make him bows that look like walking sticks. So far no one has noticed. Steve

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:51 pm »

Got a picture of it? Would love to see what it looks like.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:34 pm »
Tiller didn't you start this, so where's your entry ??? >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2008, 06:08:05 pm »
Other projects are keeping me occupied. I will be making one sometime in the future. Just no time! (Sigh!)  :'(

Far East Archer

« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:23 am »
Here ya go!  ;D

I'm not sure what cultural design it resemble, maybe Scythian?

Alex

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2008, 06:40:40 pm »
Alex, whats it made out of?

Far East Archer

« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2008, 12:37:37 am »
Oh, this is the same bow I was talking about above.
Bamboo with sinew backing. It has mulberry (sapwood) siyahs and ash wood handle.

I shot it today just for fun with my lightest arrows (250 grains) and got 130 yards. I guess its not bad considering its only 10#  :P

grantmac

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2008, 02:45:26 am »
Could you take a few detailed shots of the siyahs splices and handle? Thats got quite the braced profile! I'd like to try something like that with another slat of bamboo for the backing.
        Cheers,
            Grant

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2008, 03:56:58 am »
Sorry Alex, but for the challenge it has to be backed with anything but sinew. The whole project is to see how small a bow we can make without using sinew. Man, that is one sweet looking bow though. Looks like you spent a lot of time on it to boot. I like it!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »
i would like to try this. i have never made this style the worst that could happen is i learn something new. besides i've already committed to it. to get the right size piece i cut down a good osage stave to 40". which brings me to a question. how wide for osage? as of right now the demensions are 1/2"x 1 1/4"x 40" and knocks at 1/2" which by the way i can'nt  hardly get to bend which is why i ask about width                                                                                                                                                                                                     
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:11:14 pm by evldwrf »
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline david w.

« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2008, 01:29:13 pm »
Thats a sweet bow alex!  I really like that. :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo