Author Topic: Skunk deterrent?  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Skunk deterrent?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 10:21:15 pm »
You guys have given me alot to think about, and I greatly appreciate it. 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 08:24:42 am »
I can guarantee if you arrow one he will spray. If you don't pin it to the ground with the arrow it will run and spray everywhere.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 08:48:33 am »
I can guarantee if you arrow one he will spray. If you don't pin it to the ground with the arrow it will run and spray everywhere.

Sounds like the voice of experience  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 09:24:13 am »
Well gentlemen,  last night I'd had enough.  Not only are the skunks tearing up stuff around the yard,  they started jumping up on the deck railing and digging out the planters built in to the railing.  They crossed the line from nuisance to destructive.

So I went out about 10-ish when they usually start coming around and sure enough there's one in the yard doing her thing.

I had just watched a video online where a guy killed a black bear with a dart.  So I pulled out my .625 cal blowgun with a broadhead dart and began my backyard hunt.  Stalked to within 10 feet of the muzzle end of my blowgun using the weakest flashlight setting I have.  Shot the bugger and ran in to the house like the devil himself was chasing me.  About 10 mins later I got my nerve to go out and check in the results, with trusty flashlight in hand.  Cautiously round the corner of the deck, expecting and enraged zombie skunk to exact NBC vengeance at any moment.

Instead I see a cute little furball all curled up, looking like she's sleeping, about 5 feet from where I last saw her.  Wait another 10 mins to make sure she isn't playing possum.  Still not breathing or moving so it's time to poke her with a long stick.  Long stick inspection checks out, she's definately dead.

Put on some gloves and inspected the area.  The plastic cone popped off the back of the dart on impact.  The dart itself went through and though and found it with the tip about an 8th inch stuck in a piece of wood nearby. 

Not wanting to completely waste a life I went ahead and skinned her.  The dart went through her left side and out the right, severing the little blood vessels of her heart.  The way she reacted and the fact she didnt spray leads me to think it was very quick and most likely quite painless.  She literally curled in a ball with her tail around her and went to sleep.

Yeah, I probably got lucky with this one, but it was interesting to find out that this weapon is actually very deadly to smaller animals.  First time I've taken a critter with it.  I've had it for years and practice alot in doors during the winter months, just never thought much of it beyond the novelty, since we don't have poison dart frogs in North America and whatnot.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 10:55:53 am »
I'd say that was about the best possible outcome.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 11:40:56 am »
Now that's a cool hunting story that should get posted in the shooting and hunting section. Hope you got some pictures. Pretty brave to skin it to. Did you remove the essence first?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 12:16:47 pm »
I didn't go anywhere near the scent glands.   I did a diamond cut around the posterior parts to avoid thrm all together.  Took the two side points of the diamond up the rear legs.  The other two points went up to the tail and up the abdomen and then just peeled her like a glove.

Nailed to a board and fleshed, now salted and sitting in the shade to dry for a couple of days.

I only took a pic of the dart.  I'm not sure how the PETA folks would react or how many of those type live around me so I probably wouldn't post them if I did. 

-Homer Simpson-

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 01:11:14 pm »
Well gentlemen,  last night I'd had enough.  Not only are the skunks tearing up stuff around the yard,  they started jumping up on the deck railing and digging out the planters built in to the railing.  They crossed the line from nuisance to destructive.

So I went out about 10-ish when they usually start coming around and sure enough there's one in the yard doing her thing.

I had just watched a video online where a guy killed a black bear with a dart.  So I pulled out my .625 cal blowgun with a broadhead dart and began my backyard hunt.  Stalked to within 10 feet of the muzzle end of my blowgun using the weakest flashlight setting I have.  Shot the bugger and ran in to the house like the devil himself was chasing me.  About 10 mins later I got my nerve to go out and check in the results, with trusty flashlight in hand.  Cautiously round the corner of the deck, expecting and enraged zombie skunk to exact NBC vengeance at any moment.

Instead I see a cute little furball all curled up, looking like she's sleeping, about 5 feet from where I last saw her.  Wait another 10 mins to make sure she isn't playing possum.  Still not breathing or moving so it's time to poke her with a long stick.  Long stick inspection checks out, she's definately dead.

Put on some gloves and inspected the area.  The plastic cone popped off the back of the dart on impact.  The dart itself went through and though and found it with the tip about an 8th inch stuck in a piece of wood nearby. 

Not wanting to completely waste a life I went ahead and skinned her.  The dart went through her left side and out the right, severing the little blood vessels of her heart.  The way she reacted and the fact she didnt spray leads me to think it was very quick and most likely quite painless.  She literally curled in a ball with her tail around her and went to sleep.

Yeah, I probably got lucky with this one, but it was interesting to find out that this weapon is actually very deadly to smaller animals.  First time I've taken a critter with it.  I've had it for years and practice alot in doors during the winter months, just never thought much of it beyond the novelty, since we don't have poison dart frogs in North America and whatnot.

Excellent execution and a good result. Very satisfying to read. Congratulations.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others