Author Topic: Youth Mentors  (Read 4229 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Youth Mentors
« on: July 28, 2018, 08:43:54 pm »
One of our local sportsman clubs had a youth mentors gathering today. The DNR was also there putting on a hunters safety class. A couple very good friends of mine helped me out. I demonstrated some Flint knapping and showed how a selfbow progressed from a stave to a bow. My friends were a huge help, don't think I could have done it without them. We had lots of interest and lots of questions. I really enjoyed it and I think my friends, the kids and their parents did to. A few kids and parents even got to shoot a selfbow for the first time. I think there were some well planted seeds. I really wanted to get more pictures but we stayed very busy. Just have a couple pictures from right after we finished setting up before the kids got there. These are some good friends Left side is Gary middle is Randy. They are the groundhog hunters I've talked about before. On the right is my friend DJ. He loves shooting selfbows and has almost shot as many of my bows as I have. If you guys are lurking out there thanks for the help really appreciate it.
Bjrogg
Sorry I don't have better pictures
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

Re: Youth Mentors
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:04:25 am »
Good job Guys !!!!!!!!!!  :OK Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 05:23:47 am »
Thanks Bob, it really was a lot of fun to show all the kids and their parents a little bit of our world. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a opportunity like this to give it a try. Hopefully you can find a couple good buddies to give you a hand and be ready for lots of questions.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 05:52:29 am »
Nice job BJ
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 07:20:31 am »
This mentoring is fantastic.  In virtually EVERY category across the board hunter numbers are falling.  Good to see people offering mentorship to welcome others into fellowship.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:33:58 am »
Thanks Clint, but there were a lot of other people who really did the hard work setting this whole event up. Us "Mentors " had the fun job.

JW you are so right. It was so good to see all those kids with their parents and nobody starring at a phone. There where probably a dozen different Mentors set up. I didn't even get to see them all but I thank them for their participation. One I would have liked to check out because I really liked their name was call "No Child Left Inside " , don't even know what they we're demonstrating but those are words to live by.
Bjrogg

Offline PNewton

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:13:23 am »
Good job BJ. Where was that at?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 11:47:32 am »
Thanks Clint, but there were a lot of other people who really did the hard work setting this whole event up. Us "Mentors " had the fun job.

JW you are so right. It was so good to see all those kids with their parents and nobody starring at a phone. There where probably a dozen different Mentors set up. I didn't even get to see them all but I thank them for their participation. One I would have liked to check out because I really liked their name was call "No Child Left Inside " , don't even know what they we're demonstrating but those are words to live by.
Bjrogg

The reference is from the book by Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder.  The No Child Left Inside Coalition has been endorsed by 58 different organizations from the whole spectrum of outdoors groups.  Supporters come from tree hugging interests on one side to hook-and-bullet clubs on the other!  All agree if we don't get off our butts and get the next generation of conservationists started it is over.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 02:45:20 pm »
Paul it was at the Grindstone City & Port Hope Sportsmens club. I thought they had a very good turn out. I really don't know if it's a annual event or first time deal. A friend of mine suggested that I contact them and I did. It was after they already had their fliers printed out. I told them I didn't need to be on a flier and they could count on me as a definite maybe. If I wasn't harvesting wheat yet I'd be there. Worked out we finished up the wheat a few days before and I contacted them again and told them I'd be there.

Thanks JW it really did have me curious as to what they were demonstrating. I'm not sure but someone was saying something about one of the groups having some animals. It might have been them.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 04:19:09 pm »
Way to go guys pass it on....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:24 pm »
Thanks Bill, it was very enjoyable and I believe time well spent. Funny how just about 3 years ago I didn't have a clue I'd be doing any of this. Sometimes you don't know what pitch life is going to throw you next. Hope you get yours.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 07:13:28 pm »
BJ,
Been thrown a few curve balls and a slider the last few months,  But we're hanging in there. hoping for that home run ball.
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 01:26:24 pm »
BJ,
Been thrown a few curve balls and a slider the last few months,  But we're hanging in there. hoping for that home run ball.
Thanks
DBar

Sometimes a solid couple of grounders to get you on base can make a difference for the team, too. Keep swinging.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 01:59:36 pm »
Wonderful BJ,
Most of my mentors are long gone but surly not forgotten.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 06:30:48 pm »
That's awesome BJ. I recently went to a compound shoot with a bunch of selfbows at the suggestion of a guy who delivered our new refrigerator. They let me set up a table that looked a lot like the one in your pics. I stuck out like a sore thumb and got my share of looks like  ???, but a few guys were genuinely interested. Mostly the older cats. It was fun to get out there and spread the traditional love.  )P(

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb