Author Topic: Demise of a friend!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Demise of a friend!
« on: August 05, 2018, 01:00:34 pm »
 Put up the one pole in the backyard to dry!  The young dogs(pit bull/mastiff and border collie/lab mixes) apparently thought it was a chew toy, obstacle course, or wrestling ring!  The results are fatal!
We are looking for a new one pole!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Demise of a friend!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 01:28:29 pm »
Ian't view the picture but I hope that wasn't the one you brought to Mojam.  :(

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:18:21 pm »
Yep! No picture.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 09:26:08 pm »
Couldn't get the pictures to post, but it was the one I had at MOJAM!  I will br able to salvage the rain flap and the stove pipe inserts and maybe the door..  It was about 20 years old!  I will try again to get the pictures over from my phone to post.  Getting them to resize is the challenge!  Some of it should be good for gear covers, bow cases, paint practice, and other stuff.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 12:09:57 am »
This tent was real neat!  Easier to put up than a tipi, (bought it after I got clobbered by the tipi frame breaking while I was trying to put it up, Jacie said that is that!) , got a nice stove converted to propane, made  several 2 week camps while hunting, renewed the waterproofing with a good marine sail cloth product,
Fixed up the  camp bed to keep Momma happy,  then things started going south!  Had to make repairs to the peg loops, got caught in a wind storm and ripped up the fly pole hole (that was an experience trying to sew the hole together in 30 mph winds) had it in the shop for several other repairs and the addition of the rain flap. Friend of ours camped in it for several months, wind took in it down twice.  If it was a flag, I'd burn it!  Almost a money pit!  I think we are going to downsize a notch or 2, though!  Easier to put up, and load! Just have to make sure to stake it down completely!  Still, it was a neat tent! >:D )F( (S).  Still like the style, though.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 06:27:05 am »
Bout like having a mistress. :) ;D >:D )-w(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 08:07:34 am »
Hawkdancer....On page 4 of helpful tips and tricks I posted a product[tear mender] that would be handy for you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:58 am »
Thanks, Ed, my tent maker checked it out, and said there was dry rot setting into the canvas, and they couldn't guarantee their work.  The picture of the " big" hole underestimates the damage because the "destroyer" dog got it again, and enlarged the gap!  I will check out the tear mender though!  I wonder if a treatment of waterproofing might save more of the canvas for other items that don't get stressed as much.
Hawkdancer (Jerry)
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 03:25:32 pm »
In the past my teepees[outside/inside cover & ozan] and wall tent I used were made from fire retardant vivatex[water and mildew resistant] type canvas,but all canvas should be put dry of course.Dry rot is irreversible for repair without replacement I'm afraid.The dog has to stop playing with it that's for sure though.
Scaling down in size with a new one might be your best option.
The tear mender product is pretty good though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:34:22 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed