Author Topic: checking draw weight on the long string  (Read 1780 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

checking draw weight on the long string
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »
How do you get a measure of draw weight/length before you brace the bow (while your still on the long string)? Would it work to find the difference in length between your "long string" and "short string," and subtract that from your draw length measurement?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline meanewood

Re: checking draw weight on the long string
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
OK, so you only want to use the long string until you can safely brace with the short.

It's a case of looking at the bend and judging when you are at brace height and read the draw weight there!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:28:25 pm »
Would it work to find the difference in length between your "long string" and "short string," and subtract that from your draw length measurement?
I don't think it would. Why are you trying to do this?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »
^Steve recommends pulling to the target draw weight right from the get go, but not going over. With a highly reflexed bow your pulling a whole lot just to get it to brace and I'd like to make sure I'm not going over before getting the short string on.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »
I long string tiller out to 10" looking for good limb movement and target weight. This puts the stave at 10# over target weight and then I string it. More on my site.  That's for a straight bow and a 26" draw. Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com/archer.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:26:39 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 07:39:16 pm »
^Steve recommends pulling to the target draw weight right from the get go, but not going over. With a highly reflexed bow your pulling a whole lot just to get it to brace and I'd like to make sure I'm not going over before getting the short string on.
I have the scale permanently attached to my tree. Every time I put a bow on the tree I can control the weight I pull.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 07:41:45 pm »
Thanks Jawge.  :)

I have the scale permanently attached to my tree. Every time I put a bow on the tree I can control the weight I pull.

Got a pick?

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 08:15:12 pm »
YUP!  The little strap of leather goes on the string.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 12:41:49 am »
  Your bow will pull about the same weight on the long string as it does if it were braced. If it says 50#@24" on the long string it will still read about  50# @24" if you brace it. Tip movement means absolutely nothing because it is totally dependent on the string angle.