Author Topic: Lakota gull wing style bows  (Read 1570 times)

Offline OTDEAN

Lakota gull wing style bows
« on: July 05, 2018, 04:29:27 pm »
Hi all

I am trying to make a gull wing using Ash or Elm, I dont have access to Osage.  I am using Jimm Hamms great book on native american bows.  He suggests a bow that is 48" long about 1 1/4" wide at centre tapering to 3/4"  wide tips.  He also states a 5" handle in length.  With these types of bows would the handle be the same thickness or would the taper start from dead centre all the way to the nocks?

Is the centre width of 1 1/4" right for Ash or Elm on a gull wing?  I normally go wider but have no experience with gull wings, I am thinking he is quoting width for osage bows but I am not sure?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lakota gull wing style bows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:02:19 pm »
I'd use elm or osage and I'd say that the proof is in the pudding. These gull wing bows have been used for thousands of years and Jim Hamm has studied these and many ancient American bows. If you want to duplicate these old designs be true to the design. But, if you want to style a bow similar to the gull wing bows let your imagination guide you.
Normally these short bows are about the same thickness through the handle and tapering from a few inches either side of the center. They probably flex slightly in the handle at full draw. This would help stretch out the stresses on a short bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OTDEAN

Re: Lakota gull wing style bows
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:02:35 am »
Thanks PAt