Author Topic: Not primitive but very effective!  (Read 3085 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Not primitive but very effective!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 06:51:34 am »
Bushy, I have heard of several guys using that chainsaw styled disc on their angle grinders to take sapwood off fast. Haven't tried it or seen it done, but I can only imagine its very efficient.

The way we build automobiles is considerably different than the way Henry started doing it. Yet they are still called automobiles to this day, even though robots do huge portions of the work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:02 am »
Depends on what ya want out of the experience. Some of us want to have an experience of "living history", and just maybe an insight into some of the "why's". Personally I dont care how many I've made or how fast. The experience of the making and using is the reward for me. Sort of going back to basics if you will. Where the rub comes in is trying to explain why I would use a raw-hide sting when there is fast-flight etc. etc. The most frustrating thing for me is that the Name doesn't reflect the actuality.  I have no desire to make "cookie cutter" bows that are bigger, better, faster and shinier at the expense of any chance at a learning experience and the occasional "back in time" rove through the woods. It really is sad that there is no room for primitive in primitive archer.

Mr. Burchett, I raise a we dram to you sir.
Rich Rousseau 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 08:25:38 am »
To be called totally primitive can be argued and does even before the tree is put down.Was a chain saw used to cut the tree instead of a stone axe?
The thing the old bandsaw did for me opposed to the first year with just a hatchet,draw knife,and pocket knife making 18 bows was to make more bows of different styles faster learning more.As everyone knows the bow is made in the tillering.
The same is with making arrows,string,and quiver for those bows.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:34:07 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 08:45:25 am »
I find the stationary tools like the oscillating  drum & belt sander ,band saw the most controllable & fastest like Ed said the true work is in the tiller of any bow ,there is a guy here can't remember who but does all the tiller work on the belt sander , even if I cut a tree with a stone axe , I don't know how I could get it home with out a truck , I think PatB said it best that where to modernized to make truly primitive bows in previous posts ! I don't judge any body's way of making a bow it's the end result that counts ! Also Bushy they have the chair making discs for the angle grinders for ruffing out chair seats that look pretty controllable from watching guys use them !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 08:46:07 am »
I build wood bows because I want to. At first it was all hand tools. When I could afford it I got a bandsaw, I use it for eliminating hard sweaty work of doing it by hand. After that I use a draw knife to remove bark and sapwood(when needed). Once I'm near floor tiller stage it is only a rasp and a scraper. I also use a table top belt sander sometimes for shaping tips for overlays. I've never been comfortable enough to use power tools for other things.
 The reason we call this primitive archery is because Primitive Archer Magazine jumped in to promote the passing on of primitive technology as we know it and because we use their forum to pass it on. It would be impossible for us to build primitive bows because we don't have a primitive mindset and haven't for thousands of years. I build wood bows and shoot mostly wood bows because I choose to and I choose to build them the way I do. How you do it is up to you but we all have a choice.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 11:53:23 am »
Well put, Bushboy!  My quest is to get the first bow shooting, hopefully well, and then do a better job on each succeeding next bow! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 12:34:25 pm »
For me, I have a limited amount of free time. If a sander or bandsaw allows more efficient use of my free time, I’m all about it. That said, the experience of felling a small diameter tree with a hatchet or hand saw, roughing out with hatchet, and finishing with a rasp and blade to tiller gives me more of a feeling of accomplishment, and my best bows were made this way. There are a ton of styles of bows that I want to try my hand at that I’ve seen on here that may not be exactly primitive. I believe the all wood or natural composite laminates bound with hide glue or an equivalent protein rendered glue fit the literal definition of primitive bow. The argument that if our ancestors had access to modern glue they would have used it is moot; as I see it they would have used all modern materials including the F word if it were available to them. I’m pretty sure that most all modern glue is in fact plastic. And in the F word it is the plastic epoxy resin that allows a material made of glass ( glass is primitive) to work. That same plastic epoxy resin is ok for cloth or wood laminates. Personally, I think that the all natural bulk material with whatever binder for laminates is a good compromise without splitting too fine of a hair and being devisive.

CrescentWalk

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 01:45:48 pm »
Interesting and nice to see all of the responses that have been posted since I made mines. I apologize if I came off as rude as that was not the intention. I just found it interesting especially after reading most of The Bowyer's Bible and one of the author's makes an excuse for using a bandsaw saying that you have to draw the line somewhere's and I thought his statement was pretty funny.

My own way of building primitive bow's might be seen as insane or very dogmatic by some people but I enjoy it as it forces me to think and work in a way that makes bow making feel more authentic, slow, and overall more rewarding for me. I use no electricity or anything that has a motor so no heatgun's, no chainsaw's, no band saw's and so on. I use tool's that have been used for thousand's of years like rasps, axes, hatchets, knives, scrapers, and stick to using natural glues like hide glue and pine pitch, and I use all natural finishes as well. I do the same with my arrow's as well.

While an argument can be made that the Indigenous people of America would of built bow's using whatever they had available, the whole point of building bow's in a traditional or primitive fashion is to take you back into time and do thing's as they were done for thousand's of years. So I have no doubt's that primitive people would of used band saw's, electric saw's, heat gun's, and so on, but that's not the way that they did it for thousand's of years so I don't do it that way.

If I had to build bow's using all modern electric power tool's it would kill the enjoyment of it for me and I'd just quit and stick to F word bow's.

Again, what's primitive and what's not primitive will change from the user. Same people will argue that a tiller tree is not primitive but I see no reason why this is the case considering that pulley's have been around for thousand's of years and a pulley can easily be made out of stone, wood, or metal. Bow's could of also of been tillered to a specific weight by hanging a stone with a specific weight from the string on a tillering tree.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:56:35 pm by CrescentWalk »

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 02:01:28 pm »
I don't do primitive maybe because of my definition of primitive. To me primitive ends about the time man learned how to smelt metals. Everyone probably has a different time in mind but one thing is sure, no matter whether they say it or not, Gilligans Island wasn't primitive ;)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43:22 pm »
I think anyone should use the tools they are comfortable with and confident with. I personally use all hand tools right now. It is what i learned on and am comfortable with. I also like the fact i can throw my stuff in a car and work on my bows anywhere without the need for power outlets. If my arthritis and health keeps going in the direction it is i might need to incorporate some power tools in there to keep me building (which i hope i never have to stop).

Offline JonW

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 05:35:45 pm »
there is a guy here can't remember who but does all the tiller work on the belt sander

That could be me. Being in industrial assembly situations most of my adult life taught me to work smarter not harder. Belt sander for tillering seemed totally logical. Just like anything else you have to know how to use the tools you have chosen to use.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 06:52:25 pm »
CrescentWalk,
                         I think you nailed it for "me", all natural materials and stone or metal hand tools...I think that would fall under the primitive bow and arrow definition with no problem...My earlier post was meant to be taken permissive to post any technique or material except FG per the rules of PA because really, this is a "Trad site"....As reading the above posts you can't argue that...My apology to bushboy for getting slightly off topic, but the first two words in the title sucked me in...I think Paul said it best, that this site and folks are as close as your going to get to Primitive bows and arrows...I am a subscriber and a supporter of PA...My goal is not to advance in modern technology with bows but to regress back in time to study, dig and scratch out the primitive path...That's the reason I left wheelie bows and building glass bows...
                                                                                                                                                                         Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;