Author Topic: Not primitive but very effective!  (Read 3084 times)

Offline bushboy

Not primitive but very effective!
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:06:01 pm »
Angle grinder with a ceramic disc!just be careful it can remove alot of wood in a hurry and also finger tips!I have tried alot of discs,but this style doesn't clog!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Not primitive but very effective!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 03:09:41 pm »
I have a 5 '' angle grinder with the rubber backing for sanding disk I use the 36 grit disc that work well and de clog them with the giant eraser type gizmo but I picked up this power file in the pic last year its basically a 1/2 '' x 18 '' mini belt sander its very controllable and perfect for handle/risers and ordered some 36 grit belts for it that last a long time you can take off micro to aggressive amounts of wood the angle grinder can be touchy some times for me & bite in if Im not careful.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:15:49 pm »
Agreed!I've been a pipe fitter for almost 30 years so a grinder is second nature by now!finer grit discs are also available.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline piotref1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 04:37:17 pm »
The mini belt grinder that was posted by Stick Bender is versatile tool. I first saw it as a tool used in knife making!

With angle grinder.. I would mess around trying to make some jigs. Doubt it would end up without red stains in my case.

CrescentWalk

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 07:24:13 pm »
I don't know why anyone would want to use these tools to make a selfbow or any other traditional or primitive bow. I thought the whole point was to take thing's slow and enjoy ourselves and go back to the old way's of doing things. I personally avoid power tools because they are dangerous, have a limited life span, are expensive, lack character, and are not the way that my ancestor's built bows. I enjoy hearing the sound of a rasp grind out wood very quietly while taking in nature vs hearing a deafening screaming sound while trying to avoid cutting my fingers off.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:00:10 pm »
I don't know why anyone would want to use these tools to make a selfbow or any other traditional or primitive bow. I thought the whole point was to take thing's slow and enjoy ourselves and go back to the old way's of doing things. I personally avoid power tools because they are dangerous, have a limited life span, are expensive, lack character, and are not the way that my ancestor's built bows. I enjoy hearing the sound of a rasp grind out wood very quietly while taking in nature vs hearing a deafening screaming sound while trying to avoid cutting my fingers off.
Yup, that's how some people do it, but it's not mandatory :) :)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:37:57 pm »
Yup, that's how some people do it, but it's not mandatory :) :)
Agree DC. I like to show that natural materials make a great bow and arrows. Tell you what, I made bows with all hand tools before I started using power tools. I think it takes just as much skill to use power tools successfully. It's just faster. And no, at almost 70, seeing how much time I can put into a bow is not on my list. I  have no desire to have somebody write on my tombstone, "He managed to take longer than anybody in history to make a bow!"
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27:20 pm »
     I started off with power tools and ran my bow making operation like a production line. It was insane. After a few years I switched almost entirely to hand tools for a number of reasons. I like the exercise and I really enjoy the entire process now. I figure using hand tools only adds about 3 hours to a bow. I feel entirely different about the bow once I am finished and they come out better for me.  Another big reason is cost, I drag out my bows in the tillering process now not only for better quality but the process lasts longer and I don't burn through as many staves.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 09:52:25 pm »
  I often wondered and asked myself why this site is called "Primitive Archer"... I would say it leans more towards Trad...With all the epoxy and plastic and synthetics it just seems kind of hypocritical to try and separate from Trad because no glass is allowed...I don't have any heartburn with anyone using whatever they want but the name "Primitive Archer" ? Just saying, because it isn't Primitive...

prim-i-tive    def:     of the earliest times; original, crude; simple , primary; basic--a primitive person or thing...

Don

My apology for being slightly off topic here...

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:27 pm »
I do think that at least the Native Americans adopted new technology as it became available, such as steel points and hatchets, and firearms, etc.  I have no problem with using tower tools for the tedious prep work such as roughing out, and shaping.  As I may be about the oldest "newbie" around, my opinion may not sway anyone, but the end result is a primitive bow!  Linen strings were in use in Europe, silk in Asia, for centuries before the white man got to the "new world"!  The self bow as a finished item is classed as primitive, I believe!  How it is made is a matter of personal preference!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:05 pm »
Lot of opinions on this I don't think any of them wrong. Personally I typically rough all my bows out with a hatchet and for the most part use hand tools all the way through. But I have no problem or shame using a belt sander or modern sandpaper. I like to make all different types from simple sticks with sinew strings to Modern styles with fast flight strings. I think this group of guys is the closest thing you're going to get to so-called primitive. In today's world it would be very hard to make one like they're made years ago.  is working in a shop with electric lights crossing the line? Bottom line for me if you like to make and shoot wood bows you're okay in my book

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:00:11 pm »
  I often wondered and asked myself why this site is called "Primitive Archer"... I would say it leans more towards Trad...With all the epoxy and plastic and synthetics it just seems kind of hypocritical to try and separate from Trad because no glass is allowed...I don't have any heartburn with anyone using whatever they want but the name "Primitive Archer" ? Just saying, because it isn't Primitive...

prim-i-tive    def:     of the earliest times; original, crude; simple , primary; basic--a primitive person or thing...

Don

My apology for being slightly off topic here...

I agree. I don't think my bows are truly primitive, but as you listed, there are just too many definitions of the word primitive. Mine are not crude, but they are simple and basic.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 12:45:06 am »
I don't see any plastic... I do see modern glues and string. But as my brother once pointed out. If primitive man had epoxy adhesives he'd have used 'em.
Regarding power tools, they are only as good as the user and they teach you how to screw up real quick.
They do save wear and tear on the old joints, ironically sometimes we forget and have to re-learn that a hand tool is often quicker and easier.
Change the blade on the bandsaw or just use the hand tool? Oooh that was easy and quick!
Del
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:25:29 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 03:08:47 am »
Wow this is one of the more civil threads on this topic ,seems like every time this subject comes up around here there is a fire storm ,but after all where using our computers to talk about primitive bows...lol  I agree with every thing said , I just look at what ever job needs to be done and use what ever tool works best ,with time at a premium for me I look to use power tools when I can ,but at times I enjoy the quiet serenity of using a rasp or other hand tools , the end result is usually the same it's just up to what the builder enjoys !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 06:37:16 am »
Another point. When I use hand tools, I still work fast. I wear myself out drawknifing the sapwood off Osage. Then I slow down to the speed limit to chase a ring. After reducing the belly to near dimensions, I rasp feverishly to bring the edges down to my marks, then rasp the center of the belly down to match the edges as fast as I can. Then slow down again to tiller. But I never do three scraps and test. I watch the beginners at the Tn. Classic. Some of them, if they had been ice age hunters, would have seen glaciers shapinging the land faster than they shaped a bow;-) (S)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine