Author Topic: OJAM 2008, Selfbows Rule  (Read 6510 times)

Offline tom sawyer

OJAM 2008, Selfbows Rule
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »
The family and I spent all of Saturday at this event.  Everyone had a blast.

Some highlights include:

-nice cool weather, 60's and cloudy but the rain held off

-primitive firemaking demo (hand drill, bow drill, and flint/steel)

-JD Jones' handle wrap demo

-Dano holding a glass of lemonade

-"new guy" Shaun from Cape Gerardeau, been "new guy" for how many years now?

-great vendor list including Pine Hollow, Dryad, Nocking Point, and several others 

-daughter caught a bass using a dandelion for bait

-son showed many folks how to use his atlatl

-just about everyone was making osage bows

-clout shoot winner used a mulberry selfbow

-I hit foam twice and got 6th in the clout with an osage selfbow

-a guy used an atl at the clout, cleared the 80+ yards over the pond and got pretty close

-I made a Lakota-style fox quiver, the clout winner chose it as his prize

-the Rutter farm is a beautiful slice of OK

-Chad the singing bowyer performed that evening, very talented guy

I left out many neat things but this gives you a little flavor of OJAM.  I'll try and post some pics tonight.  Don't know what the wife got on the camera.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: OJAM 2008, Selfbows Rule
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:10 pm »
Well Lennie, as long as Dano had his glass of lemonade then everything was OK in OK! ;D He makes a great glass of lemonade! ;)  Sounds like a good time for all.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:56:02 pm »
Lennie, I wished I had known which one you were. I would have at least said Hi. We may even have talked and I did'nt even know it.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:41:28 pm »
I'll second TS's comments.  This was my first year to attend, so I was pretty much just a spectator since I really didn't know what to expect.  I brought my Dad with me, and I think we may have another convert, at the tender age of 79. 

I met and talked to a lot of nice folks.  If you're on this board, again, it was so nice to meet y'all and sorry if the PA connection was not made at the time.  Chad Slagle (The Singing Bowyer) was the only one I recognized (from his website) and we had a nice visit.  Too bad I didn't get to stay for his performance.  Tom Sawyer:  While I was eating lunch, I watched I guy place a fox quiver on the Cloat Table, so I guess that was you too!  I remember it, so I can understand why the winner chose that as his prize.   ;)

Next year I plan on jumping in with both feet and break rocks and make shavings too, instead of just watching.  Hopefully I'll have a head start after visiting the Tennessee Classic too. 

I'd also like to thank the Rutter Family and all those responsible for putting the event on.  I had a great time.

Otoe Bow
aka Mike Chase
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:19:01 pm »
Lennie,
           That fox quiver was striking. One of my shooting buddies ( Spanky Brooks)  got second and wanted that quiver too, so it must have been the best thing on the table. I did'nt shoot the clout shoot cuz I was roughing out my staves into blanks and needed to get them done before I could relax.  The blades were getting pretty dull by then and it took too much time for me too do both the shoot and get my work done that I had planned out. I think I would have been lucky to clear the water without drowning a few arras anyway, lol.  By the way, do you have another one of those red fox quivers available? I may be interested in working out something with you ( purchase or trade ) and then gifting it to him, he has been very helpful to me in refining my shooting and I would like to do something for him.   Danny

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:22:42 pm »
Nice, TS. Must have bee a great get-a-way. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »
I was wearing my PA ball cap, thought someone might have noticed and asked about it.  Would've worn the t-shirt but it was a little chilly for short sleeves.

Mike you definitely want to work on a bow when you go to these events.  Lots of good help to be had, just put a bow on a tiller tree and you'll get many eyes helping you see the bend.  Good way to meet people.  That was probably me you saw at the table, I came back and had the missus take a pic of me with the quiver.

Danny, I only have one more red fox pelt and it is sort of spoken for.  Just a suggestion, you could get yourself a fox pelt from Pine Hollow Longbows and make him one yourself.  Mike's pelts are much nicer than my crude tanning job.  It wasn't hard to make the quiver.  I just stitched up the bottom about like it came off the animal, leaving the legs hanging loose.  I cut off the head a couple inches behind the neck, then turned it around and just stitched it to the top half of the opening so it would ride on top of the quiver.  Threw a couple of stitches in through the nose to hold it there.  Then I took a dowel and ran it from the opening back through the tail area, there was enough room between my stitching that it slid right through.  I made a 1"-wide leather sling from some fairly heavy stuff, I had to stich together two pieces to get it long enough.  I think it was over 3 feet long.  I cut slits in both ends and just slid it over the dowel ends.  Then I wrapped some sinew around the ends of the dowel so the leather wouldn't slide off easily.  I used a leavy darning needle and artificial sinew for all the stitching work.  You want to be kind of careful when pulling the sinew through the holes, so you don't grab a bunch of the hair when you pull things snug.  I could push through the fox skin but had to use an awl to premake holes in the leather.  I think I got it done, start to finish, in about an hour.

Maybe next year I'll pay more attention to the flintknapping.  I am amassing stuff to do it but haven't had the time to get into it yet.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:01:10 pm »
Pat, I saw Dano stir his drink with a spoon once, it came out missing most of the metal.  "Extra iron" he says.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
Good suggestion Lennie I may look into that.   Danny

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:07:41 pm »
Wish I could have made it this year.
Where are the pictures? Out with them!
    Sean :)
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Dano

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:42:49 pm »
Great time for sure, Doug Rutter and all the OK guys did an excellent job, the weather was a little colder than I am used to, but I didn't whine much ::). Always good to see Lennie and his better half Shannon, still amazes me what a difference a good woman can make in a guy ;D. There were alot of pictures taken, they should show up soon, My camera was not in my truck when I got there, musta forgot it :-\  Pat I didn't even run out of vodka this year I must be getting old.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:41:10 pm »
sounds like a blast. i ended up not bein able to go. ill make it next year. maybe we should put our pa handles on our shirts:-> j/k.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 11:02:22 pm »
I wish folks would wear a name tag with their online name.

I was the loudmouth collecting items for the clout shoot and Lennie's quiver really set off the prize list.
I think everyone that made the top 10 shoot-off was happy with their prizes.

After making at least part of every OJAM this thing has gone from a little Bow Bee to a spring Woodstock of yellow dust with some hickory scattered around.
Doug said 500 people showed up on Saturday including the trad shoot folks.

The demos were great. I wish I could have made them all.
Keith Bishop was kind enough to tutor me and some others in billet splicing. I brought some yew billets I was given at Mojam (probably the only yew at OJAM) and now they are joined as one. ;D

I was stunned at the distance of that atlatl in the clout shoot. I was a little worried one of the geese swimming along the opposite shoreline was going to get impaled.

I used to enjoy watching JD doing his beautiful handle wraps but it's gotten frustrating. He makes it look like fun and games and ends with art. Mine look like a kindergarten crafts class.

Here is one of JD's handles:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:09:22 pm by Lost Arra »

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:30:18 am »
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/62tomsawyer/OJAM2008/

Sorry about the lack of pics and the lack of pics without me in them.  The wife wielded the camera and she's kind of sweet on me.  hehe

The Woodstock of yellow dust, how about Hedgestock?  The preferred wood certainly was hedge, I think it outnumbered white woods 10:1.  Although I did see a fellow shooting a honey locust bow at the clout, that was some beautiful wood.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 01:53:10 am »
Hedgestock.   It sings.  :D 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck