Author Topic: bamboo question  (Read 3347 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

bamboo question
« on: July 02, 2018, 06:10:13 pm »
Hi folks,

I just unwrapped and cleaned up a bamboo backed bow that has yet to be tillered. I discovered that the bamboo is quite a bit thicker in some spots than others (I hope the pics illustrate this). When I ran the bamboo through the jointer prior to glue up I didn't realize how much the thickness varied.

The wood's thickness was methodically prepared and tapered prior to glue up, so as you might imagine, this poses a challenge.

My question is can bamboo be removed from the back to even it up as could be done with a wood backing? (please say yes)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: bamboo question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 06:22:47 pm »
I really can't see much difference but is there some kind of deep meaning to taking the picture over the garbage disposal ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:51 pm »
Are the top and bottom pictures the same distance away, like should they be the same thickness? How thick is it? It actually all looks a little thick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:47:11 pm »
What glue did you use?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:59:18 pm »
No. Bamboo can't have the power fibers violated like that.  Especially with regard to the nodes.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:38:54 pm »
Yeah PatM, the more I thought of it, the more I realized that.

I used Smooth On Pat B.

It was the same distance DC. The pics don't really illustrate what's going on that well. And I'm gonna try not to read too much into the disposal thing.  ;D

I think I'll be okay as long as I take it very slow. Bamboo does have a crown, and I think it was a little uneven on this piece.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:58:42 pm »
Do you think you could use that fancy new bandsaw and cut right down the glue line and start again?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »
I considered that, but the thought of doing the glue up all over is too much to bare. The lines are really good on this one! Think the bamboo will over power the ERC? If most of the forces are close to the back (tension) and belly (compression), I can't see why I couldn't make it work.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:20 pm »
I was thinking that looked like cedar...man the bamboo will be hard on that belly wood.  I have even had thin hickory overpower ERC before...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:32:06 pm »
If the boo is too thick you will end up tillering away most of the belly wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:53 pm »
Bummer. Guess I'm not sure what to do.  :-\

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 07:03:06 am »
You can grind the belly off
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 07:31:23 am »
Too much to bare? I have replace the bamboo on a bunch of bows, no big deal. You will end up with a wood belly bamboo bow with what you have now and it won't be much of a performer with more bambo than wood.

On your next backing use the jointer to level the bamboo, lay out your pattern, cut it out and use a belt sander to reduce your bamboo evenly so every edge is 1/16". This will naturally taper your bamboo just right and keep the thickness uniform.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 07:58:25 am »
Too much to bare? I have replace the bamboo on a bunch of bows, no big deal. You will end up with a wood belly bamboo bow with what you have now and it won't be much of a performer with more bambo than wood.

On your next backing use the jointer to level the bamboo, lay out your pattern, cut it out and use a belt sander to reduce your bamboo evenly so every edge is 1/16". This will naturally taper your bamboo just right and keep the thickness uniform.

+1...This is what I do and it comes out surprisingly accurate just by eyeing it.  But most of the bows I build have a pyramid-ish width taper.  You wouldn't get thickness taper doing it this way with a parallel limb bow.  Just something to account for.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:48:05 am »
"You will end up with a wood belly bamboo bow with what you have now and it won't be much of a performer with more bambo than wood."

This is what I did and you are absolutely correct Eric. Next time I'll be much more careful with the bamboo thickness. Oh well, live and learn.

Guess I need to buy a belt sander now.  :'(

Nigerian Proverb