Author Topic: Even Tillering Tricks?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline DC

Re: Even Tillering Tricks?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 10:57:24 am »
What do you guys do when little bumps and waves occur and grow while scraping a formerly flat back? I then regularly have to take my excenter sander and flatten the back in order to avoid further growth of these irregularities....
Suggestions?
I make sanding sticks about the size of a rasp using 50 or 80 grit emery cloth. Stick it on with double sided tape. Use it to flatten the ripples. You can also use your scraper at an angle across the ripples.

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 12:58:52 am »
Thanx for advice DC! Sometimes it's just good to hear that others fight the same problem in a similar way...cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 06:17:35 am »
I do the same as Del, a few even scraps on both edges and then take out the middle. :) and always looking and checking the sides as I move along. I also do somewhat the same as Eric to start, with a good carpenters line down the side for a thickness to start with. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 01:49:12 pm »
Sometimes a stave or roughed out bow will demand more thickness from limb to limb and even from side to side on the width of the bow. If you notice a growth ring getting thicker from side to side or one limb to the other this is usualy a hint. I guess it's the densedy in the wood changing. All I know is it happens on some bows. Anyone else notice this. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 04:56:31 pm »
I make my bow limbs taper from 3/4" at the handle/fades down to 1/2" thick at the nocks to start with.  I make sure the belly is flat before I even begin tiller, that way I know both sides of each limb are even taper before I even begin tiller. 

I work my floor tiller before using my tiller stick.  Wherever I see a stiff spot I mark with a pencil straight lines from one edge of the limb to the other and then scrape the pencil lines away, this guarantees you never remove more wood as long as you make sure you remove your pencil lines each time.  Works for me.  Draw the pencil lines from one edge of the limb to the other where the stiff spots are each time you test the bend either on the floor or tiller stick.  As long as you remove all the pencil lines each time you will always remove equal amounts of wood assuming your sides were equal before any tiller began as I explained earlier.