Author Topic: Elm and variences  (Read 1194 times)

Offline bushboy

Elm and variences
« on: June 02, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »
Two elm bows,the right one was very stiff and the left not so much.my point is different properties within the same species of elm!they are very close in draw weight,but so much different in profile
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

Re: Elm and variences
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:06:07 pm »
  How close are they in mass?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 10:06:41 pm »
They are.03 of and oz apart,counts for the bark wrap on the darker one.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:22:06 am »
Good point.I can vouch for that diff with 2 different elm bows here too.I can remember working on them and one definitely was much harder than the other.Both same length and resting profile,but the harder one holds 10 #'s more draw weight @ 28" though.The harder elm was almost like my hickory here.Both white elms.My red elm here is softer or lighter than either of those bows too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:18:47 am »
 Aside from being hydroscopic I have had pretty good luck with elm being consistent. I have noticed it dries out very slowly, the last few points anyway.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:50 am »
One of my elm staves was from south carolina and one from northern arkansas and they definitely were not the same.Could be in the same area they would be the same.Both were called winged elm.An identifying feature on the twigs of wings that set it apart from other elms.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed