Author Topic: Kia ora from New Zealand!  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
Kia ora from New Zealand!
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:40:03 am »
Hi guys and gals!
Just thought I would put up an introduction post.
My name is Zach, I'm an absolute novice attempt at a bowyer from the lovely pearl of the south pacific, New Zealand, which alows year round, un-monitered, hunting of 6 deer species, wild pigs, himalayan tahr and chamois. . .  As such i can hopefully introduce some novel wood types and banter to the forum. . . Haha but considering i am only half way through my second bow any results i manage might be a bad reflection of our wood  (lol)

Said bow that I am half way through is a Kanuka mollegabet selfbow; 68" ntn, aiming for 50# at 31". However i feel that 31" might  be too long a draw. . . As in it is what i pull, but too much strain on the wood? (The joys of not having a clue). But on the flip side I have heard stories, from the very limited information I could find on our wood species, that it makes a good bow, so here's hoping!!

Once I figure out the photo thing I will whack a photo of the current project up.

Thanks for accepting me to the forum, looking forward to absorbing a lot of info in the near future!

Offline stickbowbeard

Re: Kia ora from New Zealand!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:42:27 am »
Welcome!  What city are you from in New Zealand?  I have ancestors from New Zealand, Wellington area, and my Grandparents and Parents have all served missions there on the North Island, and I have to say, I am an All Blacks fan!  I can't wait til I get a chance to visit myself.  Also, can't wait to see your bows.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:24:29 am »
Always interesting to see what people from different places have to bring to the table.  New Zealand appears to be such an intersting place for sportsmen.  Looking forward to seeing your progress and welcome to PA!
1’—>1’

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:20:46 pm »
Stickbowbeard:
Funnily enough I am from Wellington! What kinds of missions were your grandparents and parents serving over here?

Parnell:
Haha starting from my position hopefully it will be forward progression  (lol)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:29:58 pm by NZnuka »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:26 pm »
Welcome aboard. Look forward to seeing your projects.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:50 pm »
Warm welcome!  If i ever leave Montana it will be for another country, and NZ is high on my list.