Author Topic: how do i silence my long?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline recurve shooter

how do i silence my long?
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:05:37 pm »
whats up fellas? i need to know how to eleminate the sound of the arrow slideing along my longbow durring the draw and relice. i was thinking of tieing some rabbit fur to where my arrow rests, but i figured id ask u guys first. wat would yall suggest?
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how do i silence my long?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:24:16 pm »
A leather, felt or fur striker plate will help while drawing. After the release the arrow shouldn't touch the shelf or side of the bow. If it does, it is either due to a bad release or incorrectly spined arrows. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:17:08 pm »
yeah, its the incorrect spine. i aint got the muny to buy the right stuff yet. i got to do the best i can with what i got.
lets just shoot it

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:38:05 pm »
you can buy already spined arrows from various comp. or 3 riversarchery. and then add fletchings and points. as for silenceing i use buckskin, rabbit fur is too thick and weak and will probably tear. squirrel would probably work or cowhide.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »
If your arrows are too stiff you can sand the middle section of the shaft and decrease spine or add a heavier point. If they are too weak you can remove an inch or more to stiffen it up(5# per inch) or use a lighter head.  Without the correct arrows all you are doing is teaching your brain bad shooting habits.     
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »
cool. i shoot carbon arrows, i need to get some wood. how much do yall think it would cost for a dozen wood, feather fletched arrows?
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:46:19 pm »
Make your own with found materials. Hardwood shoots are everywhere for you to collect. Trade for feathers, shafts and points with someone here on PA. I buy very little as far as my archery goes. Lots of finding and lots of trading.  ;) 8)     Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »
I haven't bought an arrow in over ten years-it's not that hard to learn to make them and the ones you make fly as good or better than bought ones.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 06:07:47 pm »
i would love to make my own, but i caint find matirials...actually thats not true. river cain makes good arrows rigtht? well that stuff is everywhere down here. i need to find out how to streighten it. and how do you get them all spined the same?
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:12:52 pm »
Go out and collect some river cane and bundle it up for a few weeks. Then use heat on the area to be straightened. Cane becomes like rubber when heated and straightens easily.   The spine with cane arrows isn't all that critical. The natural taper and the recovery rate makes it more forgiving to draw weight than any other arrow material. Go get your cane and when you are ready to make arrows we will walk you through it. ;)  If you need feathers, I'll send you enough to start with.   
   Now you have no more excuses! ;D ;)       Pat

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:28 am »
cool. i shoot carbon arrows, i need to get some wood. how much do yall think it would cost for a dozen wood, feather fletched arrows?

Thats sacrilegious....Carbon Arrows on a Longbow.....besides not shooting worth a Crap.....They just don't work too well...but then neither do woods on a Compound........ >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:51:36 am »
PM.. me your addy..and I will send you some arrows , cedar with turkey feathers and field points ..then you will have to make meat.. no excuses.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:33:41 am »
so right. no more escuses, no more aluminum/carbon, all primitive. thanx for the inspiration guys.
lets just shoot it