Author Topic: hickory self bow handle help  (Read 2507 times)

Offline cbates1994

hickory self bow handle help
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:59:13 pm »
Hey guys,
    I have a hickory log i split and now the dimensions of the handle got me....stumped  8) lol. I read a lot of people that offset the handle to make the arrow center of the bow and others just make the self bow completely symmetrical. I would like to know what all you guys do with handles. currently i was thinking stiff handle and 2 in fades ntn 72 inches.

Thanks for the insight guys!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:03:09 pm by cbates1994 »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: hickory self bow handle help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:45 pm »
I usually make them 1.25 to 1/38" wide and 1.5" thick. Fades are 1.5". More on my site. Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:21:44 pm »
72 inches... how long is your draw, or is that just so you have wiggle room?

Offline cbates1994

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:45 pm »
I usually make them 1.25 to 1/38" wide and 1.5" thick. Fades are 1.5". More on my site. Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com

thanks for that link! thats definitely helpful. I'm curious on when to have the bow have an offset handle or centered one. other build alongs have the handle smack dab in the middle. is that a "wrong" way of doing it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:29:53 pm by cbates1994 »

Offline cbates1994

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:50 pm »
72 inches... how long is your draw, or is that just so you have wiggle room?
30 inches I would say
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:26:38 pm by cbates1994 »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:06:02 am »
I have been teaching my nephew how to make bows, he just finished a hickory bow. I like to make bulbus locator handles on my bows. He has a huge hand so we made the handle 4 1/2" long, 2 3/4" fades, abut 1" wide at the arrow pass. We added the walnut for a little bling.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:12:05 am »
Interestingly, I first started with a centered handle. I would measure 2" on ether side of center and then measure out the fades as discussed above. The advantage is you can turn the bow around to get better tuning. I've had to do that once or twice.

I have also used  a slightly offset handle (and I do like this style) as favored by Al Herron and was described in my site where the fades are adjusted to make for same length limbs.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/handlestyles.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 10:28:00 pm »
You really can do it either way, but for a stiff-handled bpw.......

I usually find the exact middle of the stave and draw a line.  I grip the bow, placing that line between my pointer and middle finger, and mark where my fore knuckle and pinky knuckle are.  That's the handle.  Above the handle, I mark out two fingers wide for the arrow to pass, and to see around.  Then add the length of the fades.

Once I fiddle this in, the grip is about 1-1.5" below center, but from fade to fade is pretty balanced out.  The physical middle of the bow hits the pad at the base of my thumb when drawn, and the arrow is just above that.  The fingers on the string are just BARELY higher than exactly in line with the base of the thumb .

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 08:56:15 am »
I never thought of using my hand to measure the handle, go figure. Great idea. It's amazing what you "don't" think of.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:23:11 am »
That's pretty much how I do it now, Springbuck.  It just makes sense to me that the closer to center you hold and draw the bow the better it will be balanced.  I like to have the middle of the pressure point of the bow hand as well as the middle of the pressure point of the draw hand lined up as close to the physical middle of the bow as possible.  Then lay out the arrow pass and fades around that.   

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:04 am »
That's a very good way to lay out a bow, Bayou Ben. It offers many benefits from tillering, and static and dynamic balance perspectives. It makes it easier to get a bow balanced during the draw, keep it balanced, less likely for the tiller to shift, so no need to flip them end for end. In fact, I've never had to do that.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 01:19:06 am »
For my 6’ longbows the arrow pass is 1” above center, and 1/2”-3/4” wide. fades are 4” long. Nocks 1” from the ends.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:47:33 am by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline cbates1994

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 12:05:03 pm »
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll go with centering the handle then just so tillering is a bit easier. Sorry for the late response My daughter was born on the 3rd! Haven't been wanting to go out and work on it Since then lol

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 12:29:30 pm »
One of the only good excuses ;) Congrats!

Offline cbates1994

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 03:10:26 pm »
I have been teaching my nephew how to make bows, he just finished a hickory bow. I like to make bulbus locator handles on my bows. He has a huge hand so we made the handle 4 1/2" long, 2 3/4" fades, abut 1" wide at the arrow pass. We added the walnut for a little bling.

question about that arrow rest: how do you safely cut a rest in?