Author Topic: Temporary recurve clamp  (Read 1432 times)

Offline DC

Temporary recurve clamp
« on: May 04, 2018, 06:54:48 pm »
I've just recurved one tip using Marc St Louis' jig idea but now I can't use my vice or workbench. Does anyone have a clever way of holding the recurve in place while it dries. Once it cools I can remove it from the jig if I can quickly get it into something to hold it. It would have to be light and small enough so that I could then do the other tip. This way I will have to wait 24+ hours and then do the other tip and wait another 24+ hours. I'm thinking along the lines of a pegboard kinda thing with wedges to hold it. I thought I would ask here rather than re-invent the wheel.

Offline PatM

Re: Temporary recurve clamp
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »
Another C clamp? 

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:53 pm »
Unfortunately that jig is attached to the vice jaw(makes it much easier to clamp in a hurry) and even if it came out having two "C" clamps attached to the end of the bow while I'm trying to work on the other end would be cumbersome. That and I only have the two clamps that are big enough. I came up with this thing we'll see how it works.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:01:17 pm »
What I do is take the C clamp off since once the wood is bent it's not needed anymore and swing the metal strap away from the wood, this lets the wood cool faster and also allows the wood to dry faster.  I'll wait about 20 minutes for the wood to cool then apply dry heat to set the recurve in, wait another 20 minutes for the wood to cool and it's good to go.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:19:43 pm »
Thanks Marc, that sounds better than waiting 24 hrs

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 10:44:09 pm »
+2 grab another clamp:)
Make a matching form to do both sides at the same time? Idk lol

If I use a heat gun I’ll wait a couple hours, if I steam maybe an hour or so, but if I feel like it needs to sit over night I don’t mind waiting I have plenty of other bows started I can work on:)

Clatskanie, Oregon