Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Yew holmegaard

<< < (3/3)

El Destructo:
Rad.....you don't have to follow one growth ring on the Sapwood??? I was wondering because I have never chanced Yew before....and I looked at the rings...and thought damn what a Pain this would be.....so you can just shape the Back and not worry about a Ring??? If so ....after my two Sinew Backed Bows I am working on....it's off to the Yew I have had in the Garage for 3 years!!!

radius:
WEll, i read somewhere that since the growth rings on yew are so tight, you don't have to chase the ring...on the other hand, mickey lotz the ferret has a demo on his site where he does chase the ring on yew.  Or he says he does  anyway!!! 8)

That was my first stave bow (rather than board bow) and I didn't chase the ring, instead i just decrowned it with the main goal of reducing the sapwood layer.

You've got some yew just waiting, eh?  How much?  Where'd ya get it?

El Destructo:
I have one piece that I have had for 3 years...I got it from a buddy out in California....he got it from Oregon

radius:
Well, have fun with it, man!!  It's very bendy wood, which still snaps back into shape.  Don't make the same mistake i did:  cut too deeply with the bandsaw.  I had to take off too much heartwood and this brought the poundage of the bow way down. 

It still shoots fast and straight...but imagine what it could do at around 50 or 60# of draw????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version