Author Topic: Leaving a bow strung  (Read 4433 times)

Offline DC

Leaving a bow strung
« on: April 30, 2018, 09:42:01 am »
First time I accidentally left a bow strung overnight, is it toast? It had about 2" of set when I unbraced it.

Offline Badger

Re: Leaving a bow strung
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:52:51 am »
  That sounds like too much set for leaving a bow braced overnight, I have done that a number of times with no ill effects. If you can't reheat the bow maybe you could just lock it up in the reverse position for a few days and see how it reacts. The bow was likely over strained to start with. 1/2" that recovers later might be expected. That is one of the reasons I went back to simple less strained profiles. Keep us posted on how it responds later, did it recover some on its own?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:56:07 am »
How much did it have prior to leaving it braced? How many times was it shot prior to leaving it over night? I've done it a few times and it never mattered. But, that was on longer osage flat bows made to take the abuse of hunting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:00:33 am »
I posted right after discovering it. It's straightening out now, that's 20 mins or so. I'll keep looking at it.
I think it had about 1". It's a new bow, been shot maybe 20 times. It's a basic 67" Pacific Crab selfbow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:01:38 am »
I'll be curious about its behaviour the next 300-500 shots. I put a "u" in behavior just for you Don :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:02:59 am »
Did Spellcheck wag it's finger at you ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:11:45 am »
Nope, it wont recognize that when the setting are on U.S. English. The company I work for is owned by Americans, but corporately ran by Canadians. So I see that goofy stuff all day!

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:13 am »
Goufy, what do you mean goufy ;D ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 10:50:28 am »
DC...It takes me up to a week or more of I'll call breaking in self bows with repeated long bracings[at least 4 hours] sometimes twice a day as if hunting and around at least 200 to 300 arrows before I'll put my John Doe on the bows I make here in evaluation as far as set goes.
It will reveal itself.You'll just have to keep shooting it.Their not made of glass.They can handle it.
Taking a speed check in the beginning and after breaking in reveals the total truth to me,along with very little set.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:04:23 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 10:55:32 am »
When I think I'm done tillering and start shooting the bow in I won't think twice about leaving one strung for 8 to 10 hours. Of course there's more set then if you were to only have it strung for 10 minutes. but I base it more in performance than visuals. if it can't handle 8 hours being strung that I tend to dismiss it as a poor bow

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 11:06:51 am »
That's one of the disadvantages of living in a wet climate. I make more bows than I can shoot. I've got 30+ bows hanging on the wall and some have only been shot 50-100 times. It's what comes from liking to make them more the shoot them. In the winter it can rain for weeks and I get 4 or 5 bows made and never get out to shoot them. I have a target in my shop but shooting 10" gets old pretty quick.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 11:13:04 am »
DC, I know what you mean about liking to build more than shoot. I don't get a lot of arrows through mine all the time either. But when I build them they get a thorough workout. I keep the bow strung all through the tillering process and torture it with long holds at full draw. Sometimes over a minute. If it takes set I feel like I under designed it or tillered it badly. I use to stress about holding at full draw. Not anymore, I figure they have to be built to take it.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:30 am »

I keep the bow strung all through the tillering process and torture it with long holds at full draw. Sometimes over a minute. If it takes set I feel like I under designed it or tillered it badly. I use to stress about holding at full draw. Not anymore, I figure they have to be built to take it.
That's interesting, I'll keep that in mind. I've avoided it like the plague. I do leave it strung during tillering but that's kind of minor compared to a minute at FD.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 01:36:27 pm »
  If you can't reheat the bow maybe you could just lock it up in the reverse position for a few days and see how it reacts.

Stemmler and all his contemporaries including Saxton Pope warned stridently against trying to take set out of a bow by straining it backward. It only makes spongey wood.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 01:45:46 pm »
I do like Ed I leave my bows strung for 4-6 hrs at a time when close to finale tiller , the osage bow I built for hunting season last year I left strung for 11 hrs  with no issues the tiller never changed, I think marrying the string like that helps to show me the true tiller, I have over 1200 arrows threw that bow and has never changed but I never hold at full draw more then a second or two , I'm not strong enough to hold much beyound that.
If you fear failure you will never Try !