Author Topic: Cool Dogs--Archer??  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Zuma

Cool Dogs--Archer??
« on: April 29, 2018, 01:23:23 pm »
This image is from Science magazine Nov 2017.
The article says  the image was made at least 8,000
years ago.  It  claims the guy is a bowman. I am not sure.  :o :o
What do you all think? I love the images.  8) Love hunting dogs, 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Online sleek

Re: Cool Dogs--Archer??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »
He sure looks .... excited ... to be hunting. Idk what that is, but it sure looks like what it looks like.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:51:39 pm »
I don't know where that was found, but it is typical of a lot of ancient art in North America. I wouldn't question that being a hunting scene of a man and bow with his dogs.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 03:52:38 pm »
Come on Sleek he's just one of the pack. ;D
I was thinking that what they consider a bow is actually a capture noose. O:)
Err I guess it could be a Gyp?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Online sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 03:55:38 pm »
I was wondering if its a lasso of sorts. Who really gets in bow range with dogs leashed up to you?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 03:56:49 pm »
Chip It's the Arabian desert. Have you seen bows etched that way?
 Do you think bows are 8000 years old?
Zuma

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »
More like 10k or 12k years, possibly, more!  I would agree with the capture loop and the kill dogs leased tight - the tracking dogs would be loose.  It doesn't really look. Like an arrow, more like another leash!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »
I have seen art displaying bows burved like that. i don't know how they kept the strings from slipping off when drawing, but it looks like a possible design, might even be good. Somebody should try it. It looks strongly opposite of recurve to me, something like a lot of compounds these days.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 10:15:37 pm »
Hawk, please pass along any documentation you may have, This has pursed my interest ???
Interesting observation Chip, thanks for the input. (AT)
Zuma

Online sleek

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 10:28:44 pm »
Its also neat how it looks like they tried to paint in the markings of the dogs. Could we possibly ID the breed bassed of that? Obviously they prefered male dogs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:06:36 am »
I'd place my money on the dogs being something relative to the Pharoah Hound of the region.  They are recognized as being an ancient breed.

As far as the phallic illustrations...nothing surprising.  Determining sex has always been pretty clearly defined in art.  I'd recently learned why the artists of the renaissance and such made all the phallic material so small on classical statues.  It's an interesting history in itself.

What a great image overall.  Says a ton.
1’—>1’

Online sleek

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:44 am »
I'd place my money on the dogs being something relative to the Pharoah Hound of the region.  They are recognized as being an ancient breed.

As far as the phallic illustrations...nothing surprising.  Determining sex has always been pretty clearly defined in art.  I'd recently learned why the artists of the renaissance and such made all the phallic material so small on classical statues.  It's an interesting history in itself.

What a great image overall.  Says a ton.

Well, why did they make them so?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:42:45 am »
search Canaan Dog.
Zuma

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 09:33:27 am »
@Sleek - Basically, the idea being that small phallus represents a moving away from a more brutish past.  That smaller is more civilized and less violent...etc.  For awhile it even went so far as the fig leaf and removing it completely.  The Vatican's collection actually was covering up statues or actually damaging the original works.  An odd topic, but interesting in terms of how we are as people.

Makes me consider the idea of civilization being emasculating.  But hey, that's what art is supposed to do right?! ;) :)
1’—>1’

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 09:49:31 am »
American rock art depicts men and women graphically. My personal opinion is that our "covert" civilizations have departed from the true norm of mankind. To a lot of mankind, sex has just been a matter of fact.

WA