Author Topic: East meets West  (Read 4548 times)

Offline DC

East meets West
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:06:06 pm »
Douglas Maple(west) with Hard Maple(east) backing. 63" NTN 43#@26". Yew handle piece and fumed Ocean Spray tip overlays. This was a bit of a gamble as the Doug Maple had a lot of knots. It still may collapse, see the knot on the belly in the pictures. I decided to try this design with no recurves. It shot 177fps at 10 gpp. Now I have to make one with recurves.

Offline DC

Re: East meets West
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:07:25 pm »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 01:08:16 pm »
More

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:19:04 pm »
Beautiful DC, beautiful, and very good speed i think...!

How did you deflex it and is the reflex just glued in? No steam or heat? Is it from a stave or boards?

Beautiful.

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 01:53:25 pm »
I like the profile a bunch DC.Very nice work.Very respectable fps numbers too.What kind and what mass weight of string?The knot does look sketchy but so be it.It's filled with thin super glue right?
PS.....Did both the maples seem even hardness wise?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:03:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 02:09:01 pm »
Thanks guys, The belly is from a stave. I cut it in half and spliced it together with about 15 degrees of deflex The backing is from a board. I glued in the reflex. I had meant to heat treat the belly before glueup but I forgot.(I'm old) I would have put in a bit more reflex but I was a little chicken because of the knots. FF string, 8 strand, 42 grains with serving. Lots of super glue. I use more superglue now than I did when i was making model boats

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 02:10:54 pm »
Very nice DC. After your flipped tips one you'll have to try a north meets south.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 02:15:06 pm »
Osage and Arctic Willow? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 02:23:00 pm »
That's pretty good and it comes from th N W. I like it DC.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 02:23:37 pm »
That's almost exactly 1 to 1 grains to pounds of draw.I got into the habit of buying super glue in a 3/4 ounce bottle....lol.1 thin and 1 thicker.
My FF strings are usually 60 to 80 grains.6 strands to 9 strands on approximately same length strings.Using 45 to 50 pound bows.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »
That's almost exactly 1 to 1 grains to pounds of draw.I got into the habit of buying super glue in a 3/4 ounce bottle....lol.1 thin and 1 thicker.
My FF strings are usually 60 to 80 grains.6 strands to 9 strands on approximately same length strings.Using 45 to 50 pound bows.
I wonder why your strings are heavier?  I weighed it again, wrapped it up nice and tight so there was no tails taking any weight. I got 45 grains this time. Close enough. I use 65 lb test Spectra fishing line for serving about 7" long. FF is FF isn't it?
PS Unless you use an awful lot of wax ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 03:01:06 pm »
You sure have come a long way in a short time man!love the profiles,awesome!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 04:09:41 pm »
I do bees wax the heck out of the string.Helps with the twisting making procedure.My string is FF plus from an archery company.7" of serving also though.I shoot self nocked arrows  so serving is thicker at nocking area but that wounld'nt add up to that much.
Well each to their own again I say.You still got a nice bow there.I'm sure the next will be even more impressive.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 07:26:42 pm »
That bow looks very snappy to me. Meaning, I get the feeling that when you release the brace it just wants to snap back into it's pre-braced form. Your tiller looks so darn even and balanced. If I'm right about the snappiness, I'll bet that awesome tiller is mostly responsible.  :)

I love the name/concept as well Don. I always look forward to seeing what you'll come up with next.  :BB
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »
DC,
       That looks nicely balanced Sir...Nice work
                                                                         Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;