Author Topic: Why photo bucket?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline bushboy

Why photo bucket?
« on: April 28, 2018, 06:39:49 am »
When I surf around looking at different posts and can't see the pics it makes me wonder why people don't use the intregal memory of their devices?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Why photo bucket?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:39 am »
When I surf around looking at different posts and can't see the pics it makes me wonder why people don't use the intregal memory of their devices?

Not sure what you mean by that
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:20:10 am »
Some sites do not accept photos from our devices. Some sites accept only small digital photos. Some of our devices make it difficult to resize the photos to small ones. Using a host site makes it simple, but then we have all seen how photobucket took our posting privileges away. Fortunatley a few forums allow posting reasonable size photos straight to their site from our devices, but the kicker there is that they have a limited amount of space they can dedicate to photos. When it gets full, they have to delete the oldest ones. That leaves us with old threads, sometimes tutorials, that no longer have the photos. Any way we go, there is a potential problem.

WA

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:13:53 am »
I find it easy to resize photos on my tablet using photo editor,and this device has alot of storage!I down loaded pb a few years ago and caught a bug.had to do a complete sercurity cleanse and lost a bunch of photos in the process.

Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:46:03 am »
Photobucket is no good. They stole 106 pages of photos from me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 06:55:41 pm »
If you had your own server that was on 24/7 then you could link to it.  I know Paul Dolanski (Ehkahk) had his own server and did that very thing many years ago

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:37:32 pm »
Imgur is a good option. One of the reasons people use hosting sites like photobucket or Imgur is that it allows you to post bigger pictures. It gets around the size limit of the forum. When people post directly to the site their pictures are often to small to really see the detail of the bow well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 05:15:51 am »
Eventually they will all do what Photobucket did, or something like it, don't get too comfy. I have always posted direct from my PC. I resize using Paint and have never felt like my images were too small. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 06:33:33 am »
Pity a dedicated server couldn't be set up just for pics, probably wouldn't take much more than a 1 TB HD to handle all the pics for the next 20 years

P.S.  I think Marvin had talked about doing something like that, until he lost interest in bows and PA

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 06:50:33 am »
Yes I'm afraid the future for hosting sites doing the right thing is in the past.It's all about the money again.
I have a photo resizer app but it does take longer to transfer that's for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:03 am »
Marc, what would be the cost to set something like that up?  It would be nice to attach larger pictures and not have them deleted after a couple of years.  I would donate to the cause.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:29 am »
You can do a photo re-sizing app all you want and upload your pics to PA but once the time limit has been reached, several years down the road, then those pics will be deleted from the board. 

Pretty sure there is a solution but probably not one most are willing to take on

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:19 am »
Marc, what would be the cost to set something like that up?  It would be nice to attach larger pictures and not have them deleted after a couple of years.  I would donate to the cause.

Exactly what I was thinking

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 08:53:19 am »

Exactly what I was thinking

A few of the forums that I'm on have a donation drive to fund their site. They do not have a magazine. But they like most sell advertising on the site. The times they are a changing.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:21:14 am »
I don't mind if pictures of my bows disappear after a few months, there's always nice bows on here to get ideas from. It's the build-a-longs losing their pictures that irritate me. Guys spend hours putting those together and they are very useful. Without the pictures they're no use at all. It would be really nice if the "How to's and build a longs" kept their pictures.