Author Topic: iron wood anyone?  (Read 5570 times)

Offline recurve shooter

iron wood anyone?
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:39:02 pm »
have any of yall ever tried an ironwood bow? i make a playaround short bow out of it for a cousen, and was shocked when a 2 and a half foot long bow shot over 60 yards :o. im just woudering if its even possible. let me know.
lets just shoot it

Offline PatM

Re: iron wood anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:43:44 pm »
Depends what you mean by Ironwood. Most people call the two Hornbeams Ironwood.
 A two and a half foot bow could probably shoot 300 yards if made properly and shooting tiny arrows.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:46:19 pm »
yeah, i think thats what i mean. and i took like 3 minuts to make that one, so im shure a proper one could do amazeing things.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:12 pm »
Ironwood is about as fun as Vine Maple!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13:08 pm »
what be vine maple? ???
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:38:27 pm »
what be vine maple? ???

You are either a Novice.....or a way Southern Boy!!!! Vine Maple is some Badass wood with all kinds of Character....lumps and bumps...waves and dips....a real challenge...but worth it...at least I think do

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:03:07 am »
I've made two from hophornbeam, andI liked it- it's good wood. Marc has made some screamers from it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:37:01 am »
I have just finished a HHB bow. It is my first real bow from the wood. I find it works similar to hickory and it shoots hard and quick.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 01:55:24 am »

You are either a Novice.....or a way Southern Boy!!!! Vine Maple is some Badass wood with all kinds of Character....lumps and bumps...waves and dips....a real challenge...but worth it...at least I think do
[/quote]

i am both. and that was a nice bow. that is the kind of wood that you got to know what you are doing in order to work. also known as the kind i currently get mad at and burn. :P i think im gonna trie ironwood again. sounds like if i can get it to work it will be worth it.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 03:22:48 am »
I really like it...and when I go back Home this Summer....I am going to mark a few trees for my Brother to cut this next Winter for me....I don't like taking them with the Sap up....thats just not the way I was taught....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:47:09 am »
yankee you just show them to me and I will take care of it ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:43:18 am »
                 OK....but you have to cut them....... Cure them........... and make Me a Bow too............deal!!!!!

;D       ;D        ;D       ;D       

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:58 am »
Sounds like a plan to me :) did I mention I suck in the bow making department ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 09:25:11 am »
I have seen your Bows there....ole Super Duper Yooper.....and they look like Deerslayers to me
2024...We Will Overcome