Author Topic: tiller gizmo  (Read 6828 times)

Offline Badger

Re: tiller gizmo
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 02:30:55 pm »
Hi Badger, sure interesting when a pro like you swears on it! How do you deal with the radius problem mentioned? When you adjust the gizmo on the wide radius @ the handle it won't detect the stiff spots on the small radius @ the outer limb and when you adjust it to the small radius @ the outer limb it just paints everything on the wide radius near the handle? How do you use it with same adjustment all over the limb, when you have an elliptic tiller? Cheers

Later in the process I start working the gizmo out toward the outer limb, I usually leave the last 8" on a bow stiff anyway. I don't think of myself as lowering the weight on a bow as I tiller it anymore. I just keep perfecting the tiller and lowering the weight just happens as a result of that.

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 02:52:12 pm »
The good thing about it seems to be, that the tilleringprocess follows a strict system or method, not just "scrape a bit here" and" scrape a bit there" - it could make tillering even more relaxing. I will try again  ;D
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 07:45:07 am »
I am out in the shop today making gizmos to send to Pappy for the guys to use at the Classic next weekend. I send him a few every now and then for the guys to try out.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 11:51:10 am »
I saw the concept overdone in Archery the Technical Side. I say overdone because they used a dial indicator and recorded the bend for lots of positions along the limb.

Eric's pencil marks are all that's needed. I made one with the dial indicator many years ago and used it ONCE. It was more trouble than it was worth.

I don't use a gizmo, because I never have any Osage straight enough to use it!
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine