Author Topic: Minimum handle cross section?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline NicAzana

Minimum handle cross section?
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:14:17 am »
While I'm waiting to have time for heat-bending the yew molly I posted the other day, I have another question: What is the minimum handle thickness, for a ~50# bow with a 1-1.25'' wide (rounded cross section) handle?

I know that thickness is more important than width, since an increase in thickness gives 8 times more strength than the same increase in width, just wondering if there's any kind of rule-of-thumb that you guys use?

I'm debating whether I have to glue a riser om my handle section, which is only a little over 1.4'' deep/thick on my stave. I would like to do a cut out shelf and a semi-locator style grip. Not full-on modern recurve style, but something that will fit nicely in my hand. Maybe similar to what I've seen on some of Marc St. Louis bows.

Cheers
Nicolas
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Minimum handle cross section?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:38:24 am »
Got any pics? That would be more helpful. I can't size  my pics right or I would show you one. I am sure there will be some pics coming soon . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:46:43 am »
I can't take an image of the handle right now, but heres an image of the whole stave.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:07:57 am »
given the stats you posted and that you want to make a locator style grip, I'd say do a glued on rider to thicken it up.

you can also do this type of grip without cutting a shelf or glueing on a riser- I make mine with cork and leather. your 1.4 inch thick handle is probably suited well to this type. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49428.msg674985.html#msg674985
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:14:47 am »
Thanks for the advice aaron, that's a really neat trick on that gorgeous piece of VM!

Maybe I'll try just building up the palm swell on the belly side with some cork. Here's some closeups of the handle section, I've drawn out the approximate handle profile. The narrowest point is ~1 1/4'', and as i said, its ~1 2/5'' thick. Do you think I have enough wood as is, if I don't reduce thickness any more?

Nicolas

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 08:30:28 am »
Yes i think you do have enough wood if its 1.25 inches after cutting the shelf in. Cut in shelves are possible, but most folks here don't  do them. You will be exposing end grain which can have a tendancy to split if the handle bends a little, or check if there's  a change in moisture content. The bow in the link above avoids this potential problem.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:33:34 am »
Depending on your shooting posture and aiming method, you may find that a small sight window like that obscures your view of the target.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 11:58:12 am »
Yeah, 1.25 after the cutout. I see your point about exposing end grain, but wouldn't a traditional fade down to the same width expose exactly the same amount of end grain? just half on both sides, instead of all on one?

I'm more worried about the aiming issue. I don't think it would interfere with my shooting style, but I'm not absolutely positive. Maybe I'll make the cutout even shallower. Or maybe I'll try it as is, and If I don't like it I'll have learned that for the next one, right?

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to dispend some advice to a rookie like me .. you've definitely given me something to think about:)