Author Topic: Has anybody used pucte for bowmaking?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline turmoiler

Has anybody used pucte for bowmaking?
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:48:40 pm »
Hello,
I've bought some pucte from a hardware store to try it because the wood was on sale. I think that the piece I've bought is all sapwood although it is difficult to say but it was the only board straight enough for bowmaking.. Has anybody of you used it for bowmaking, either as a backing or backed or even as a board bow? Any input will be great.

Sergi

btw: http://brencollc.com/pucte/

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Has anybody used pucte for bowmaking?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:01:25 pm »
Never heard of it, but the numbers look like it could make a good belly lam.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:32:15 pm »
Yeah, the description and numbers sound a lot like ipe.   Go for it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:34:48 am »
  A very large percentage of tropical hardwoods are bad about chrysaling, so don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out. Always fun trying a new wood.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:02:50 am »
I bought some "ipe" that later turned out to be this stuff, as Steve said, it chrysalled all over the place even before I tillered to brace.
But give it a go anyway, some species var a lot on a per tree basis

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 02:50:11 pm »
I bought some "ipe" that later turned out to be this stuff, as Steve said, it chrysalled all over the place even before I tillered to brace.

Very bad news  :-\ . I think that I am going to return the pucte board. I cuold buy a good board of hard maple, white oak or ipe for the same price at my local lumber yard. Thanks for the inputs!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »
   Leon, what design?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:09:17 am »
I was building two mollegabets and an elb at the same time and all three bows had the same problem, compression fractures while I was not even at 14 inches of draw. All backed with boo and the elb was a trilam.

Now I am not perfect and still make tillering mistakes but this was clearly the wood an not me...

I later called the store where I bought it and said what they tried to sell as ipe bow wood was not good, they told me it was Caribbean Ipe and I could not get my money back. When I did a search on the internet later I found out it was this pucte stuff. I had about 20 pieces already cut and planed to bowmaking size so I was not happy...