Author Topic: Bendy Handle & Placement of Handle-Section?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline simk

Bendy Handle & Placement of Handle-Section?
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:56 am »
Hi All

I'm doing my first bendy handle bow and don't know where to place the handle-section. Would it be wrong to shift the handle-section 1" above the center of the bow?

Where is the handle-section usually placed with english longbows?

Thank's for your help @ have a nice day!

Cheers

simk
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Julian

Re: Bendy Handle & Placement of Handle-Section?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:14:30 am »
I'm also making a bendy handle at the moment. I was pretty sure they were either symmetrical, or the handle should be a bit more towards the bottom limb, like on english longbows.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts though.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:56:40 am »
  I usually mark center of bow, form there I try to place my middle finger at that mark...That puts me at my hand fulcrum, centered...It depends on your style of grip...I don't shoot heel down or high wrist either, kind of in the middle of the palm...Your grip style will depict the outcome...That usually puts my arrow .5 above center...Hope this helps...Your style may vary...
                                                  Don
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:06:40 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:02:31 am »
I'm working one myself and I placed it center, but its only my third one.
Thanks Don I saved your pic as a reference for correct tiller.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 03:54:48 pm »
How wide is that bow? Looks cool.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:18:18 pm »
2" above and below the middle of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:43:30 pm »
Nice

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:24:47 pm »
2" above the center of the bow  and 2" below. But then I shoot the bow about an inch above center.

There's no wrong or right, simk, just personal preference.

Jawge
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:16:45 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:18 pm »
 For a bendy handle bow I have the arrow pass "1 above centre. The Mediterranean release stress is  centred around the point between the middle finger and the ring finger around 5/8" to 1" , which coincides to the centre of the bow, if the arrow pass is around 1" above centre. Like Jawge says many methods will work.
I feel that bows with an arrow pass 2" above centre, look like the stress in the limbs is unbalanced. It may not necessarily be the case, but it is my preference and it makes the most theoretical and practical sense to me.

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 01:33:22 am »
Thanks a lot for your helping hands...

It seems like in most cases, there are different possibilities, but not one truth.

So I will try to find out, in which position this individual bow shoots best and put the arrowpass there.

So long...cheers 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 06:53:30 am »
  Carl,
          Slightly over 1" wide and .5" at tips...High crown sinew backed 55" long...58@26...I prefer my hand fulcrum centered "my pressure point" on bendy bows...your personal fulcrum depends on you style of grip...These shorter bows are more critical and sensitive to balance...

PS... I removed the videos, I forgot they were a direct link to a possible advertisement...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:47:26 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 07:16:39 am »
Simk,
          Play around with your bow and shoot from different grip placements...When you find that magic spot, mark it...
                          Don

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:15 am »
Simk,
          Play around with your bow and shoot from different grip placements...When you find that magic spot, mark it...
                          Don

How do you know the "Magic Spot"? I can move my hand all over the place and not see much difference.

Offline simk

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 01:43:55 pm »
DC: I'm not sure but I'd just shoot on a target. If the arrows group too low, I'd shift down with the arrowpass & vice versa. You will have found the sweet spot when the arrows group in correct height. If - from a given handle position - the arrows always hit too low, maybe the upper limb is too strong.

Anybody disagree?

Thanx again all. Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 01:44:10 pm »
DC,
       I can move my grip up or down as little as a half inch and notice a change in vibration, noise and "most importantly balance"...That is usually done with a tillering string and I do move the nock point accordingly during what some refer to as a shoot in phase...My arrow pass may be located .5" to 1" above the center of the bow...Maybe instead of "Magic" I should have said "Balance"...For me it is very easy to detect a balance issue in these shorter bows...
                                                                        Don