Author Topic: Today's draw by hand  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

Today's draw by hand
« on: April 15, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »
This is today's draw by hand after shooting the bow half draw for a couple of days.

Offline Carl Galvin

Re: Today's draw by hand
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:40:14 pm »
Still need some work on the bottom fade, and I mis-measured, still have a 47# at 28 to work with.  lower 40s here we come.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:54:47 pm »
   Huge improvement, looking pretty nice right now!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 04:05:14 pm »
Hey, that's looking good! You're right, the bottom fade looks stiff.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »
Nice Carl...That bottom limb came on around drawing in hand...Did you heat treat...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 04:27:44 pm »
No sir, I did not heat treat it, I just shaved a bit more of that first .25 of the limb after the handle.  But it looks like I need a bit  more.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 05:40:53 pm »
Not much, a few scrapes on the fades can cost you weight quickly. You could shoot it more at full draw and then reconsider. It’s pretty darn close.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 06:06:06 pm »
I know, I decided to leave it alone for now.   Not a perfect tiller, but it is shooting nicely.  I am bullseyeing at 25 yards very consistently, and I am a compound bow hunter leaning traditional.  I dont usually shoot instinctive, with the exception of a samick sage recurve I bring out every once in a while.  I think I will chalk this one up as my first bow, and keep it shooting heavier.  I know others are vehemently opposed to that idea, but I have another stave to work on my second bow with.  I have learned alot from this one, and heck, it is shooting sweet in my opinion.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 06:11:14 pm »
   I think that's a good idea Carl...If it's shooting good leave it be...Use what you have learned on the next one buddy...That's what we do... :OK
                                                            Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 07:31:48 pm »
Looks great! Enjoy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
Thanks guys!

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 08:44:36 pm »
Not much, a few scrapes on the fades can cost you weight quickly. You could shoot it more at full draw and then reconsider. It’s pretty darn close.
good advice, hoosier

I know others are vehemently opposed to that idea,
I think that advice was given when your tiller looked  much different. That you were able to make an adjustment without loosing too much weight shows a good hand at this tillering stuff. Selfbows have their own peculiarities. Yesterday I got out a bow that I tillered two winters ago, but never shot or put a finish on. I thought that I would revisit the tiller before it got the shellac, and she required quite a bit of adjustment after being ignored so long. Could be why some guys name their bows after women.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:59 am »
How much weight can I expect to lose after sanding it? Thanks!