Author Topic: Good signs of spring  (Read 7199 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Good signs of spring
« on: April 14, 2018, 05:52:09 pm »
Robin sent this pic to my comp today.Think it's a scarlet tanenger.A male.Beaurtiful I thought.I think males arrive first waiting for to females to arrive with many of these song birds here.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Good signs of spring
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:33:32 pm »
Nice pictures Ed. Thanks for sharing them. We had our first "sign" of a Kansas Spring the other day. A tornado watch...  ::)
Today, as I type this, it is snowing.  ???

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 07:17:37 pm »
That's a beautiful bird Ed.

We're getting an ice storm here in Rochester tonight. The weather man says power outages are "likely" due to heavy ice accumulation and high winds.  (W

We just lost power for 3 days last week!

Come on Spring! We need you! NOW!

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 07:32:35 pm »
Robin knows what she is doing with a camera. :)
Her photos are dazzling. Thanks for sharing Ed :).
I got back to VA Monday it was snowing. It was eighty yesterday.
Red Buds, Buttercups. Dogwood, Forsythia, Woodchucks, Tree swallows
gosling's, the whole enchilada.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »
Yup saw about twenty Robins (the birds) on my lawn yesterday. Ice storm today and tomorrow. Electricity is out. Been real cold spring here so far. Seems more like February but the animals seem to know it mid April. The plants still seem to think it's February though. No flowers or even anything green here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 08:27:11 pm »
Lots of crazy spring weather that's for sure.I hope everyone stays safe.It snowed over 12" 150 to 175 miles northwest of me too.We just got rain here then.Which we need.
Robin described the bird to me at first and I know she knows what a cardinal is but this one was different.It's  supposed to have been spring here for a while as the old turkey vulture is here some time ago already.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:16 pm »
Yup the turkey buzzards are here cleaning up the deer that didn't make it through the winter. We've still got lots of deer here but they are really getting hungry. I found a dead one behind my barn. They've been on my lawn trying to get something to eat. It's time for stuff to green up.
Bjrogg

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:22:40 am »
Robin sent this pic to my comp today.Think it's a scarlet tanenger.A male.Beaurtiful I thought.I think males arrive first waiting for to females to arrive with many of these song birds here.

Darn those Robins are smart  :).

There's a few Summer birds that have come up, Robins included, but we are supposed to get 2 days of freezing rain so they may be regretting that decision.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 07:31:00 am »
We have robins all over now. I say this a slow spring up here, but its probably more usual than the 1 week long springs we had been getting. Like BJ, we had super high winds, sleet, snow and rain that tarted Friday. Today I woke up to about 2" of snow, but the wind is only blowing 15-20 now. Yesterday was spooky, we are surround by woods and I was just waiting for a tree to come down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 07:36:33 am »
We've got a little snow now this morning.It'll be gone in another day or two.Robins have been here for quite some time too and contrary to what some believe they eat more different things than worms.....lol.If they did'nt they would starve.....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 08:39:52 am »
Lots of snow and ice for me.  It looks and feels like January. It was the annual trout opener yesterday and I stayed home and watched a blizzard. I am ready for some warm weather. Still snowing now.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 11:36:08 am »
I know what your saying Pearl. Sure hope they aren't dead ash trees. I can't believe how many people still have huge dead ash trees surrounding their houses. Don't see my lawn or the Robins today. Just snow, ice and broken tree branches today.
Bjrogg

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »
We've got a little snow now this morning.It'll be gone in another day or two.Robins have been here for quite some time too and contrary to what some believe they eat more different things than worms.....lol.If they did'nt they would starve.....lol.

Robins love fruit.  They'll eat Chokecherries when they are ripe and spit out the pits, makes a real mess.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:27 pm »
My dog does that with olives.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 07:49:29 pm »
We have orioles coming soon that eat our strawberries and wild black raspberries,and I think the robins do too in fact.The scarlet tanenger pictured I think is a seed eater just by the shape of it's beak.I think they all eat bugs but there is'nt too many bugs flying around yet....lol.
Sorry to hear all the nasty weather some are getting lately.Sounds like familiar mess's I've had to clean up too.As long as the current stays on.An ice storm 12 yeas ago here left me without current for 5 days in the 3rd week of december.I thought it was an interesting experience at first.I was ready to perservere in style.I got to admit though that after about 3 days of no electricity it got old....lol,but it was something to just get used to that's all.
BowEd
Ed