Author Topic: Tiller getting close?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Tiller getting close?
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »
I think I am close to having the limbs match!  The outer thirds bend the same, on the right limb, the gap to the white string is about 3/8 greater than the left.  If I am using the gizmo correctly, I need to remove wood from the middle third or half of the left limb.  The right Limb tillers clear except for a small spot on the outer third.  The actual draw right now is about 2", the weight is 43# +-, target weight is 45#. The bow is clamped and level across the handle.  The picture is taken from slightly left of dead square on.  Comments are welcome, even smart a$$ remarks, if they are constructive! >:D.
https://i.imgur.com/kXTpPfR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Julian

Re: Tiller getting close?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:11:35 am »
Looks too early to tell, to me.

If it was me, I'd go ahead and scrape a bit more off each limb until I was getting 4-6 more inches of limb travel at just below target weight. then look again.

Being cautious is good but at that early stage, its hard to see much of anything.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:32:36 am »
Can't tell if the limbs are bending evenly, 'cos they aren't hardly bending... ::)
Is that a low braced string on it as well as the long string? If so, pull on that one, or shorten the long string so that it only just goes onto the bow. You will see more limb movement then, and if it looks even pull it to full weight and take a pic.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:58:38 am »
  Those outer limbs look like they are starting to bend while the inner limb looks pretty stiff. The actual draw in not 2" even though your limbs are only moving 2". Be real careful you don't make it too whip ended. I would stay away from those out limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:34:08 am »
That handle looks worrisome.  Is this a stave or glued on riser?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:13:46 pm »
The white string is just a marker.  It is a stave, the handle and fades are still rough.  I'll scrape some, shorten the long string and see what happen without going over target weight.  Hope to get some work done on it yet this afternoon!  I will continue this thread!  Thanks for the ctriques.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
Still, establish your fade transition shape before you start bending.  Not the width but the scooped slope.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 11:28:44 pm »
Thanks, Pat, I'll get that done next.  Might help the bend?.  Took a few scrapes, still pulling about 43#.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:06:14 am »
I am by no means an expert but I find it easier for me to start my bend right at the fades and work outward until I've reached my draw length. Starting from the outer part first leads me toward a more whip ended tiller. Not necessarily bad but I prefer an eliptical shape to a bow. This also helps smooth the fade transition right away. Good luck!

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 09:53:46 am »
I am by no means an expert but I find it easier for me to start my bend right at the fades and work outward until I've reached my draw length. Starting from the outer part first leads me toward a more whip ended tiller. Not necessarily bad but I prefer an eliptical shape to a bow. This also helps smooth the fade transition right away. Good luck!

And that's why your bow bends too much there. 

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 11:20:37 am »
Pat that's only one bow. I've made dozens brokens hundreds perhaps. Different radius designs, full to compass etc. Would you not agree that this bow needs to bend more towards the fades?

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 11:33:46 am »
Sure, just not bend there first.  Get the part where the majority of bending takes place moving evenly first and then ease that bend back to the fades

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 12:18:58 pm »
I see. That would lend to hinging a bow quicker it seems. If one were to designate the workload area and the start the bend from the fade to just flex at desired weight while steadily transitioning into the desired major workload area he could effectively make his first bow stand up to many. I hope this doesn't come off wrong I don't wish to argue just pick your brain as to why things are better one-way than another is all

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »
   No, the opposite is true.  Way easier to hinge the near fade area when the rest of the limb is still a stiff lever. 

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:42:35 pm »
I see. This stuff is so awesome. It leads me to another topic. Can't wait to see this bow finished!