Author Topic: Heat treating an HLD  (Read 1583 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Heat treating an HLD
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »
I know there are different forces at work with an HLD design. Below is a diagram that Simson has on his website (I hope it's okay that I'm showing it Simson) that shows how there ends up being some compression on the back and tension on the belly when the bow is drawn.

I have 2 questions...

1. In addition to the tension at work on the belly, I'm assuming there's still compression, so is heat treating an HLD made of white wood still beneficial?

2. If dry heat weakens a wood's tensile strength, does heat treating the belly of an HLD put it risk of splitting along the sides due to tension failure along the "walls"?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:37:35 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

Re: Heat treating an HLD
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »
Are you realizing that the forces shown are across the limb rather than linear?  It might have been better to say expansion of the belly and contraction of the back.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 06:39:59 am »
Sorry, yes Pat I am indeed realizing that. Okay, will heat treating the belly but the bow in jeopardy when the belly is expanding?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 08:25:44 am »
I could'nt tell ya myself Jeff.I'd think it would myself.Maybe simon can tell you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:04:45 am »
I have heat treated all my hld bows from various woods. (Hazel, ash, black locust, elder, yew, mulberry)
They all gained weight and they all still shoot. The hazel is the only bow that took some set so I would definately heat treat!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 07:06:15 pm »
I have heat treated all my hld bows from various woods. (Hazel, ash, black locust, elder, yew, mulberry)
They all gained weight and they all still shoot. The hazel is the only bow that took some set so I would definately heat treat!

Cool. Thanks guys

Nigerian Proverb