Author Topic: How Would The Primitives Deal With Seasoning Staves in The Elements?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

I was reading other articles on this site last night, and I ran into a conversation least year about how people do all kinds of things for climate control and keeping staves from breaking do to excessive dryness or losing umph!!! if I may, do to excessive humidity.  And all of this made me wonder, how would primitive people manage?  I mean they didnt have controlled environment with air conditioning or dehumidifiers like we do?

I know this might be a silly thing to ponder for some of you, but it is this kind of stuff that causes me to itch.  Any literature on this?  Thanks!

Offline PatM

Re: How Would The Primitives Deal With Seasoning Staves in The Elements?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:00:46 am »
They got them cured and then greased them and kept them dry.   Deep grease treatment rather than surface sealing was a common primitive technique.  Or they used woods that thrive when damp as many tropical woods do.

They also probably didn't dwell on maximum performance so any slight slump from humidity was quickly compensated for.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:33:53 am »
Different woods, different climates, different strategies...I'd figure.  But basic grease protection and keeping it out of the elements.  I was speaking with a Seminole down here that was telling me about giving the roughed out bow a smoking over a fire to..."bring it to life."
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:29:27 pm »
Certainly short 40-50" staves were much easier to stash, keep dry and transport from area to area, If living in a teepee.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:49 pm »
I read somewhere about storing bows and/or staves in the top of the lodges near the smoke holes. This would keep them dry and the creosote and other chemicals in the smoke would help waterproof them. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:27:12 pm »
Formaldehyde too. Apparently you can make hide glue waterproof with formaledyde fumes.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 03:35:57 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have seen many types of bow sleeves out of fur in some of the books about North American Native bows etc. I assume this is the way they would transport them to keep dry. Otherwise I assumed they tried to keep them dry inside.

Cheers,

Phil

PS: waiting for spring here in Ontario....enduring another winter storm in the middle of April!