Author Topic: Which bow wwods less critical in chasing a ring  (Read 1260 times)

Offline shackleton

Which bow wwods less critical in chasing a ring
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:08:28 pm »
 I have yet to attempt a bow from a stave.As much as I've read and watched about chasing a ring it seems like it would be difficult for a beginner.That said which woods is it less critical?  and why?
Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Which bow wwods less critical in chasing a ring
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:17 pm »
Any of the whitewoods, if cut during the growing season only require you remove the bark to reveal a pristine back and no ring chasing is necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:17 pm »
As PatB said, white woods can just have their bark peeled and their you go. If you’re gonna cut through rings for some reason, I’ve seen yew survive it.

Offline shackleton

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:51:15 pm »
Thanks...when the time comes Hickory was going to be my choice so easy enough.
Scott

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:25:17 pm »
shackleton
Yeah, hickory would be a good choice, apparently it’s damn near unbreakable if done right.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:47:07 pm »
shackleton
Yeah, hickory would be a good choice, apparently it’s damn near unbreakable if done right.

I'm sure I could break it haha. Apparently that seems to be my skill
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:43:22 pm »
  I have made bows from elm sawed into boards with massive ring violations. In some cases so bad that they went all the way through the stave over a 4" or 5" distance. I think Chinese elm is about the most forgiving wood their is. Almost impossible to split.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 03:40:16 pm »
I’ve had good luck with ERC sapwood holding up to violations. I had this one pull back to 40# at 27”. For te back all I worried about was getting an even layer of sapwood about 3/8” thick. The back was horribly violated but held up for a couple hundred shots before I put a paper backing on and sent it in its way. I haven’t done many ERC bows but the ones I have,  have held together fine so far with horrible violated backs. Though I don’t let the heartwood show through the back. It seems to act different and am afraid it wouldn’t take the same abuse.

Kyle