Author Topic: Most Recent Photo on The Tillering Stick  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

Re: Most Recent Photo on The Tillering Stick
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:02 pm »
burchett.Donald, can you please explain what you mean?  Thanks!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 06:54:00 pm »
       Carl, see how your fade under the black line is bending...The right fade under the red line is straight...Work this fade a little and that right limb will bend more...It's important to get fades moving also...Looking good so far...Hope this helps...
                                                                          Don

Excuse my art work...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:51 pm »
Thanks Donald.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:33 am »
Burchett.Donald,

I see what you're saying about that fade on the right, although I hadn't seen it until you mentioned it.  I had seen that the right tip does need some more scraping to come more around, and intended on scraping it,  However, I am concerned about scraping the fade as welll because, although it would be for the sake of better tiller, I am now down to 48# at 28" I was really hoping for #50, and now think I would shed a tear if I didn't keep it up to at least 44 or 45.  Do you thing I will lose more than two or three pounds if I scrape more on that right fade?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 10:10:05 am »
    Yes Carl, moving that fade will cost more than 2 pounds...I know how you feel about coming in under weight...Something to watch on your next round man...You can always try and heat temper after you correct it...That might give you a couple of pounds back maybe...
                                                                                                                                                    Don
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:16:46 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 10:42:05 am »
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but a good tiller will outweigh those couple pounds you are losing.  I was in the same boat as you not that long ago, just wanting to reach my target weight and sacrificing tiller to reach my goal.  It wasn't until I made a few under weight bows with good tillers that I realized that an underweight bow with a near perfect tiller will blow by heavier bows with imperfect tillers. 
I like to use Badger's method of full weight pulling after I get the limbs balanced out.  It has helped me reach my target weight with not many surprises.       

I would try Donald's suggestion if you are that concerned with the weight.  Get the tiller right 1st though.  Just my thoughts. 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 11:23:10 am »
Time to draw it by hand and someone to take a pic.use the stiff limb as the bottom,you may be surprised!the tiller looks close to me.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 01:53:08 pm »
Carl, you can add your Imgur pictures directly into your posts here. click on the little drop down arrow in the top right corner of the Imgur photo. click 'get share links' and then copy the 'BBcodes (Forums)' code. you can then paste that link directly into the text here and the picture will appear for everyone to see.
Like this:

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 05:08:03 pm »
Thanks Guys for your valuable advice.  I will fix that tiller on the right and settle for the 40 lb bow.  I guess it makes sense not to forego shootability for the sake of draw weight.  And 40 isnt too bad I guess.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 05:09:11 pm »
Thanks Weylin, beautiful bow in that photo, by the way.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 05:21:18 pm »
You're welcome, and thanks! Good luck on your bow. I would have added something about that but these guys are taking good care of you. I would have been redundant.

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 05:46:44 pm »
Time to draw it by hand and someone to take a pic.use the stiff limb as the bottom,you may be surprised!the tiller looks close to me.

I might point out that one can only go so far with the tiller tree. How it will look in the hand is sometimes not easy to duplicate on the tree. work out where your knock point is on the string, and where your arrow rest is before making final adjustments. Consider when you want to start shooting it in, maybe avoiding a full draw (few inches short). get some arrow tuning accomplished. don't be in a hurry to call the bow "done". leave some room for final adjustments later.

Weylin does make some sweet stuff (A)

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 05:59:54 pm »
Sure thing Willie. I appreciate it.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 08:38:26 am »
So to follow up,

I braced the bow at 5 inches after a few more scrapes (still at 45 lbs at 28") and it is shooting amazingly quiet and accurate (I have never been soo accurate even with my samick sage recurve).  I didn't full draw, I only drew to about 26", but it is accurate up to 25 yards, which is the most I have tried it out to.

I will try to post a video as soon as I get a helping hand.  I know I could have made a better bow with more experience, but I have learned alot from this first bow, and have already ordered another couple of staves. I will post photos a bit later, but off to a hog hunt with my compound tomorrow morning.

Thank you all for all the advice and assistance.  It has so far been a pleasure to be a part of this group!

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 09:11:35 am »

Ok, here she goes at full brace