Author Topic: To keep a bow from getting too dry  (Read 2815 times)

Offline StickMark

Re: To keep a bow from getting too dry
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »
If that is the case, and I do not doubt it, wow.  Really enjoy the discussion of NA bows' draw weights.   A 550 grain arrow out of a 35 bow is approximately 15.7 gpp; it worked for me , but was kinda slow. 

One advantage of that light a draw would be maintaining control of the shot regardless of the varied body positions that hunting/warfare impose.   I have made an Ishi sytle bow, that is 55# @ 23 inches; built for 24-25 inches, but that short 55" bow stacks and I feel it in my shoulders.  I love the length, but am thinking on dropping a little  draw weight, add a little draw length (27?).  This thread simply muddies my waters, lol.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 12:24:07 pm »
the cast and "snap" of the bow, at 30#, would be key, yes?

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 02:12:00 pm »
The published weights of old arrows are far lighter.  Remember some were actually supposed to be reeds with a foreshaft.

The terms snap and cast are really the same thing. ;)

Pope's tests do undervalue the  old bows he tested and Laubin's book gives a better idea of what these bows were truly capable of but  they still were't high draw weight armor piercers and they didn't need to be.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:16 pm »
Hawkdancer,,,I posted a question,regarding the Pine tar mixture,as a self bow finish for dry climates,a while back.Nobody seemed to have tried it..I intend to on a bow soon....

Another point of debate,that i seldom hear,regarding antique native bows is this,,,,Without documentation of who the bows belonged to,,how are we to be sure,it belonged to and was used by a warrior???...It could have belonged to and been used by a Juvenile,,warrior in training..

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 12:04:24 am »
Trade,
I used it on my lodge poles, actually got the recipe on the Wooden Canoe Heritage Assn site. On a bow,  I think you have to rub it in and use several coats to get a good seal.  It is apparently a very good water resistant finish,  and a northeastern native recipe.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Traxx

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:46 am »
I was instructed,,to use heat to get it to penetrate properly and as you said,,with several coats..I have never heard of anyone using it for a bow finish though.