Author Topic: ok to cut hophornbeam now?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline oakfall

ok to cut hophornbeam now?
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:17:01 pm »
It's almost april in central NY and I want to make another HHB bow.If I cut now will I have a hard time getting the bark off? Last one I made I cut in summer.

Thanks,
Oakfall

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ok to cut hophornbeam now?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:23:44 pm »
Oakfall, I am not familiar with your growing season but I would wait until the leaves are fully out or at least almost fully out. It will be easier to remove the bark them.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:51:59 pm »
If you can wait until the leaves are out wait but if your only chance is now don't hesitate
get it when ya can ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:44 pm »
Hey Oakfall , I live in Central Ny and it is too early yet !!! You have to wait until the leaves are out at least 3/4 - which should be about the 3rd week of May . I cut all my trees including HHB last year at that time and all the bark just about fell off - it was unbelieable how easy it came off - areas differ so go by the foliage .  ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:04:42 pm »
My opinion is that the best time to cut bow wood is whenever you have a chance to. The bark comes off easier after the leaves are out, but it's not that much trouble to take it off in the winter.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.